• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I rent upstairs, but paying utilities for downstairs also

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CancerSurvivor

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I rented a house signing a one year lease that has sense expired. The house is a single family dwelling that has a basement. We rented the house knowing that we did not have access to the basement. The house had been remodeled to where the basement door was blocked from the inside, and a door was installed from the outside of the house. All the windows to downstairs are blacked out and door always locked.
I was told by my landlord that the basement wasnt finished and was only used for storage.

One day I went outside to do some yard work. The landlord and her son came out of the basement. She said she was just looking for something that she had in storage. I guess running into me outside distracted her and she forgot to shut the door when she left. I just contued mowing and figured she would be coming back and didnt shut the door. A few hours I went out in the backyard and noticed door was still open. I opened the screnn door and yeld down in the basement "is there anyone down there"? I went down the stairs to see if anyone was there. I turned the corner at the base of the stairs to find a fully finished basement with a kitcken, washer, drier, pool table, excersize room, sectional sofa,computers, stereo, TV, dishwasher, fridge...full bathroom. The whole nine yards. There were lights turned on over some plants to get them some light. none of it was in boxes, it was a livable place.

The thing I am questioning is that the utilities are solely in my name. I am heating, cooling, paying water, electricity for the downstairs. There is only one meter for the house. I know for a fact that there has been numerous times her son has been down there for long periods of time. (all day sometimes) Do I have a case of fraud because of false statement reguarding
the basement? Out utilities never run below $182 sinse we have been here (almost two years.). I always thought that the house was just not insulated well. She had made the comment that the downstairs didnt have ductwork for heating and cooling. FLAT OUT LIE! I have paid no telling how much in utilities for keeping that downstairs cool and warm. I think it is fraudulent behavior.

BL

Have you local building inspector come out and inspect the property.

Once you can confirm the basement is a Fully furnished basement, legal or not, confront your landlord.

If you can get prior utility cost before you moved in from the energy company do so.

Then confront the Landlord. Tell them to either adjust your rent for all the overpayment's you have paid , or you will have no choice than to seek legal remedy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">