• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think I have a slum lord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mswhat2do

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I found the house that I currently live in back in the early part of feb. I was aware of the issues it had but was told that they would be addressed. My landlord and I agreed to make the lease for 3/1 and I paid the rent and deposit. Once 3/1 came nothing had been done to the house. He took his good old time making major repairs to the inside such as the plumbing and a few other things. We were not abe to start moving in until 3/10. And to date I still need an electrician. The 2 biggest issues with the house are the roof and the siding. The rain is coming in the house in three different places. It's coming in so bad on the attic that I can push the wall in with my finger. I'm scared the roof is going to be on the floor soon. The siding is coming off the on the sides and back of the house. And when the wind blows it bangs on the house because its loose. Every room in the house has a different temperture and the bugs are getting in. I'm scared of an infestation if thats not fixed soon. If I call he blows me off and gets rude about it or he tells me to call his maintence man which is not coming either. There has been alot of nice days this month and I feel it could have at least been started. I'm starting to feel that he's not going to do any more repairs to this house.

I know some may ask why would I move into this house and my reasons are I have 2 kids and a sick parent that I take care of and I had to make some changes asap. Believe it or not though this house is beautiful and perfect for my situation. It just needs some TLC.

How can I get this man to fix this house??????
How can I legally withold the rent or even use the rent money to fix the repairs myself???????

Mswhat2do

You look up the rental laws for your state. Not all states allow rent witholding. You might also look inot doing the repairs yourself and deducting cost from rent. Again check state laws first. A quick call to a Landlord/Tenant Attorney or even your local Housing can tell you your rights. There is also likely a process to go through so you cant just jump on the rent witholding bandwagon. Start documenting all request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">