• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ignoring certified letter notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

h_caulfield

What is the name of your state?Iowa

I sent a certified letter that explains my intent to sue unless I'm compensated for December rent (more info here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=300059)
However, the person has apparently not been home when the mail carrier tried to deliver the letter. I track it on the website and it says "notice left." - What if she just ignores the notice and doesn't pick up the letter?

ENASNI

h_caulfield said:
What is the name of your state?Iowa

I sent a certified letter that explains my intent to sue unless I'm compensated for December rent (more info here: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=300059)
However, the person has apparently not been home when the mail carrier tried to deliver the letter. I track it on the website and it says "notice left." - What if she just ignores the notice and doesn't pick up the letter?
The letter should be returned to you, when it is do not open it! Keep any copies of your receipts as well. This actually can be used as part of your paper trail if you take her to small claims.

Who's Liable?

As stated before, DO NOT OPEN THE LETTER when it is returned, as it is evidence, and the judge needs to verify that what you sent in the letter is actually in writing and not something you are telling him...

Also verify with your state on whether or not a certified letter is deemed "delivered" REGARDLESS of whether the person accepts it... It would be a state statute.

rachellynn

When you get the letter back you could also try typing the same letter again and sending it certified and regular mail.Put on top of the letter Re:certified and regular mail.This way if she still refuses the certified letter you have proof she would have still recieved it via regular mail.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">