• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Eviction? Don't live at address anymore.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haz300

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I lived with my friend and cosigned a 1 year rental lease with her for a place about 2 years ago in Sept 2005. After 1 year my friend renewed the lease (end of Sept 2006) with only her signing the agreement. It was understood by the landlord that I would be moving out in a couple months. In December 2006 I moved out.
The landlord evicted my friend in August 2007 (she was never served any court docs) he brings my friend a letter from his attorney and documents from the courts with judgement in his favor. She did not even know about the eviction or court date as nothing was even mailed or given to her.
The court documents had also my name on them so I now I have a eviction on my record when I haven't been living at the address for 9 months and wasn't put on the lease agreement because he knew I was moving out.

Now my questions are:
Can the landlord really evict me when I don't live there?
If no court order was served that I know of, how is it possible that this all went through?
What is the best way to approach this with the courts?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

You say that the landlord "understood" that you were moving out. Did you actually give him written notice that you were moving? Do you have a copy of that notice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">