• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal lockout?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BJLSRL

This all takes place in San Bernardino County, CA

My mother-in-law lives with her boyfriend and his son, in a small house that he rents. Her name is not on any bills or paperwork dealing with the residence. She does not contribute to the income of the household, and pays no billls, however she has been taking care of his son and doing all household chores & cooking. She has been living there since approx. early 2005.
Yesterday, they got into an argument and she came to our house to spend the night (which happens a few times a year without further incident). When I took her home this morning, he had changed the locks. All of her personal belongings are still in the house.

#1, Is this not an illegal lockout?
#2, What steps should she take next?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

This all takes place in San Bernardino County, CA

My mother-in-law lives with her boyfriend and his son, in a small house that he rents. Her name is not on any bills or paperwork dealing with the residence. She does not contribute to the income of the household, and pays no billls, however she has been taking care of his son and doing all household chores & cooking. She has been living there since approx. early 2005.
Yesterday, they got into an argument and she came to our house to spend the night (which happens a few times a year without further incident). When I took her home this morning, he had changed the locks. All of her personal belongings are still in the house.

#1, Is this not an illegal lockout?
#2, What steps should she take next?

**A: she is considered a m/m tenant. So she can call a locksmith to gain access.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">