• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal Sublet -- Harassment & Illegal Lockout

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NickL30

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I am posting from Manchester CT in Hartford County. This is long but it has been a very traumatic & expensive experience.

I have sublet an apartment for the last 3 months thru a written agreement with the primary leaseholder. We didn't involve the property manager (first mistake) the sublet was thru the end of the year and I just relocated from NYC and needed a place.

So, I come home on Sunday night & it appears that the lock has been changed. It is after midnight so the only alternative other than sleeping in my car is to get a Motel room. Cost $92 for Super 8 for less than 6 hours.

I called the primary tenant who just happens to be in Italy until August 19thn with her boyfriend. All rent has been paid up to date & August rent check cleared my bank acct on August 3. I call the property management office. Basically they laughed at me & told me I am screwed that they don't allow 'illegal sublets' & that there were reports that I was illegal subletting the apartment. They have no answer when I tell them that I have been there for 3 months, have my own property & my company's property in the apartment & have a signed agreement with the master tenant as well as proof that she cashed the rent checks.

I then remembered about Last Thursday at 1:00am -- there was a loud knock on the door and it was someone who said they were from maintenance and said that they needed to look at my A/C unit because of a possible leak. I didn't think anything of it until todays incident. Someone probably ratted me out & they did some off the cuff investigating.

I knew I had to get in at least to get my laptop computer which I need for work. And I can't afford to spend close to $100 a night for a motel until they get back into the US.

I finally got in by calling the fire department. They forced the door open after I told them the story. Then 2 hours later -- About 10pm, 'jim' from maintenance comes and says that I need to leave immediately because I am not on the lease or he will forcibly remove me & dispose of all my property in the apartment. I refuse to leave & call the police. Once the police come, he calls the management office who allows me to stay for 72 hours. He said that if I am not out by Thursday at 5pm I will be charged with illegal trespassing and any belongings in the apartment will be disposed of.

I am totally traumatized. From my understanding any eviction is a legal proceeding handled by a court. This girl wasn't 100% honest but is what they did legal?? Do I have any recourse?? Doesn't the fact that I have paid rent indirectly give me any rights.

Last edited:

I would think that they cannot forcibly remove you from the unit. You have established residency there. Because they don't allow subletting, they will need to take this up with their tenant. If they want you out when you have a written lease with their tenant of record, they will probably move to evict you. You have a lease, your rent is paid, & the tenant's rent to the LL is paid. They may have to evict the entire group to get you out (their tenants and you). Send a copy of your lease to the LL of that property. Let him handle this with his tenant. I do not know the law for that area, but this is how they would have to handle it in my area. Changing the locks would be a self help eviction which is illegal here. You may want to speak to a real estate attorney in your area to see what your specific rights are in that area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">