• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal subtenant who won't move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PinkLotus

This situation is in Los Angeles California.

Basically an apartment complex located in Los Angeles has a subtenant who never signed an contracts with the complex. He pays rent to the legal tenant and they have some sort of verbal agreement. The legal tenant did sign a contract and part of the contract stated that any other person cannot stay with them for more than 14 days or else they have to sign a contract and pay directly to the apartment in which the illegal subtenant never did.

Apparently this illegal subtenant has been a menance to the apartment tenants as well as the apartment manager. No one has taken legal action or filed any official complaints about him yet. They have served him an eviction notice but he won't move out and is actually trying to sue the apartment. In addition, after they tried to evict him, he started reporting trivial things to the housing authorities (peeling paint, broken heater) rather than directly telling the apartment manager.

This situation regarding this subtenant has barely risen because the ownership of the complex recently changed (about a year or two ago).

Basically, is there any way we can get him out without evicting the legal tenant as well? Also, can he actually sue the apartment for trying to kick him out or for anything at all?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

ENASNI

um

This situation is in Los Angeles California.

Basically an apartment complex located in Los Angeles has a subtenant who never signed an contracts with the complex. He pays rent to the legal tenant and they have some sort of verbal agreement. The legal tenant did sign a contract and part of the contract stated that any other person cannot stay with them for more than 14 days or else they have to sign a contract and pay directly to the apartment in which the illegal subtenant never did.

Apparently this illegal subtenant has been a menance to the apartment tenants as well as the apartment manager. No one has taken legal action or filed any official complaints about him yet. They have served him an eviction notice but he won't move out and is actually trying to sue the apartment. In addition, after they tried to evict him, he started reporting trivial things to the housing authorities (peeling paint, broken heater) rather than directly telling the apartment manager.

This situation regarding this subtenant has barely risen because the ownership of the complex recently changed (about a year or two ago).

Basically, is there any way we can get him out without evicting the legal tenant as well? Also, can he actually sue the apartment for trying to kick him out or for anything at all?

Thank you in advance for any replies.
Can I ask.. who are YOU in this scenario?

PinkLotus

I'm a family friend of the current owner of the complex. Her english isn't very good so I help her out with filling out paperwork and translation. My father is also her friend, friend of the apartment manager, and part time maintenance personal for the complex. My father is the one thats helping the owner pursue the eviction and I guess the middle man when the inspectors or housing authorities come.
I don't really have a title in relation to the complex but they ask me things so I figured I'd ask around and see what people think. =/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">