• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal tenant who caused fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dilemma

What is the name of your state? NY

I had a tenant in an illegal apartment in my basement. The fire was intense but brief and contained to the immediate area where the tenant was storing combustibles not normally kept indoors.

This tenant has no lease or written proof of his rental agreement

Does the illegal nature of the apartment negate the conditions of a lease if there was one?

Is he entitled to his last month's rent back if he indicated he preferred to leave his posessions on the premises for the duration of the month because it was the cheapest alternative.

ENASNI

dilemma said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I had a tenant in an illegal apartment in my basement. The fire was intense but brief and contained to the immediate area where the tenant was storing combustibles not normally kept indoors.

This tenant has no lease or written proof of his rental agreement

Does the illegal nature of the apartment negate the conditions of a lease if there was one?

Is he entitled to his last month's rent back if he indicated he preferred to leave his posessions on the premises for the duration of the month because it was the cheapest alternative.

What tenant?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">