• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegally (?) charged for paint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jasminebud

What is the name of your state? ca

i resided in an apt for two months, my two roommates were there a total of 3 months. the manager was more than happy to agree to the short term lease. about $150 was subtracted from our security deposit for "paint". is this legal? i heard that certain criteria such as a 2-3 yr inhabitance and proof of damage is needed to charge a tenant for paint.

it's been about two months since i moved out.
of course we left the apt exactly the way we found it, there was no paint damage.

thank you for your time!

Z

zappy

Hi Jasminebud:

Ths is classic he said she said, argument. Can the landlord do this , well, they are trying.

So the reason you posted this question, like everyone else is.....you never sat down with your partner/roomates over coffee and donuts and read your lease.

Most leases are very specific about the details of your tenancy, and there is where you will find the answer.

Also did you take pictures before you moved out and handed back the keys, to prove you didnt damage the place? or do a move out report with the landlord specifing all the damages? Then you can sue the landlord in small claims court, but ALL of you have to show up.

And lastly but the most important part, nobody ever reads a lease before signing it, so if its in the lease and your signiture is on the lease then the landlord can show the judge you AGREED to pay the $150 when you vacated.

Remember YOU are a customer of the landlord, if you dont like the terms of the deal, DONT sign the lease AND DON'T hand over your money to the landlord, take it elsewhere!

>>>>>>I mean you do it when buying a TV, if you find out Sears is $20 more then JC Penny's, you will turn right around and go BACK to penny's and buy it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">