• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Roommate Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Because that costs money I shouldn't have to spend when I have central air. Also 70 degrees is room temperature and after speaking with multiple people about this and simply asking their thermostat setting. Not telling them why I'm asking but just wondering I've come across 2 out of about 14 have it at 70 or above. I'm not being unreasonable. I even offer to turn it up when she is around but instead she'll completely turn the unit off before she leaves for her boyfriends even though I am still there sleeping. I'm not wrong here, I've offered negotiations.
If that is how you feel you should NEVER have a room mate. 70 degrees is room temperature only if the room is at 70 degrees.

Plan on moving out by the date she gave you.

I'mTheFather

When I moved in the verbal lease was one year from April 1st. If I need to stay past October 1st and she doesn't want me to she would need to evict me because the non renewing situation wouldn't be around until next year.
From the Chicago Tenant's Rights Pamphlet
http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Illinois/mto/english2.html#Eviction

Eviction

What can I be evicted for?
You can be evicted for not paying your rent, damaging the apartment, disturbing your neighbors or violating your lease in some other way. If you do not have a written lease, you also can be evicted for no reason if the landlord serves you with a written 30-day notice.

Silverplum

Because that costs money I shouldn't have to spend when I have central air. Also 70 degrees is room temperature and after speaking with multiple people about this and simply asking their thermostat setting. Not telling them why I'm asking but just wondering I've come across 2 out of about 14 have it at 70 or above. I'm not being unreasonable. I even offer to turn it up when she is around but instead she'll completely turn the unit off before she leaves for her boyfriends even though I am still there sleeping. I'm not wrong here, I've offered negotiations.
No, it's not:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEkQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fchemistry.about.com%2Fod%2Fchemistryglossary%2Fg%2FRoom-Temperature-Definition.htm&ei=g2nRU8atPOnisATJ6oKQBg&usg=AFQjCNHnz5R0e_Fs6xvLGyAIDLNDlLLVHQ
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_temperature

Pedantry. :cool:

Subtenant

You're wrong to believe that you cannot be evicted and that you are entitled to use of the AC on your terms.
So offering up to negotiate about it is on my terms? If it were on my terms I would have it at 68 and not move. Also if she's not there to feel it why should it be a problem? She can turn it up when she gets home but instead she turns it off or turns it up and leaves. I don't mean she's there for an hour and then leaves I mean she checks it before she leaves and doesn't come back until the next day and then wants to know why I turned it down. If it bothers her she can turn it back up I won't touch it as long as she is here. Once again I'm not wrong. No utilities involved and she is not here to feel the effects of 68 degree AC

I'mTheFather

So offering up to negotiate about it is on my terms? If it were on my terms I would have it at 68 and not move. Also if she's not there to feel it why should it be a problem? She can turn it up when she gets home but instead she turns it off or turns it up and leaves. I don't mean she's there for an hour and then leaves I mean she checks it before she leaves and doesn't come back until the next day and then wants to know why I turned it down. If it bothers her she can turn it back up I won't touch it as long as she is here. Once again I'm not wrong. No utilities involved and she is not here to feel the effects of 68 degree AC
Okay, you're right about the AC. Shame on her. You will still be legally evicted.

Subtenant

From the Chicago Tenant's Rights Pamphlet
http://www.tenant.net/Other_Areas/Illinois/mto/english2.html#Eviction
Thank you. I couldn't find this information and was initially what I was asking about. Good thing she's no smarter than a rock. I just need to know my rights and weigh my options.

Gail in Georgia

"When I moved in the verbal lease was one year from April 1st. If I need to stay past October 1st and she doesn't want me to she would need to evict me because the non renewing situation wouldn't be around until next year. "

(Sigh)...A verbal lease isn't worth the paper it's not written on. You have a month to month tenancy with your roommate.

"Good thing she's no smarter than a rock. I just need to know my rights and weigh my options."

Speaking of rocks, the need for a WRITTEN notice was pointed out to you by me on the first page.

You have proven yourself to be a blithering idiot. This is really hopeless.

Gail

Subtenant

"When I moved in the verbal lease was one year from April 1st. If I need to stay past October 1st and she doesn't want me to she would need to evict me because the non renewing situation wouldn't be around until next year. "

(Sigh)...A verbal lease isn't worth the paper it's not written on. You have a month to month tenancy with your roommate.

"Good thing she's no smarter than a rock. I just need to know my rights and weigh my options."

Speaking of rocks, the need for a WRITTEN notice was pointed out to you by me on the first page.

You have proven yourself to be a blithering idiot. This is really hopeless.

Gail
If I'm an idiot for seeking knowledge, asking expansive questions, and seeking sources so I may look into the information myself then I will proudly take the blithering idiot label.

Thank you all for your hospitality.

LdiJ

If I'm an idiot for seeking knowledge, asking expansive questions, and seeking sources so I may look into the information myself then I will proudly take the blithering idiot label.

Thank you all for your hospitality.
The blithering idiot bit was a reaction to you stating that your landlord/roommate was "no smarter than a rock". Based on this thread, your landlord/roommate clearly understands the law far better than you do.

Bottom line: You have no written lease. Your landlord/roommate has the legal authority to give you notice to vacate, which she has done. If you do not vacate, she can have you evicted. If you still want to stay, you have to convince your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. She has all the power. You don't have any. You have been given suggestions that might help your cause with convincing your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. You have rejected those suggestions giving the impression that you somehow think that you have any power in the situation. Again, you do not.

You appear to have an ideal living situation vis a vis your employment and you appear to want to keep it. Why in the world you would be so stubborn as to let things get to this point at all is beyond me.

I am done with trying to help you.

Just Blue

The blithering idiot bit was a reaction to you stating that your landlord/roommate was "no smarter than a rock". Based on this thread, your landlord/roommate clearly understands the law far better than you do.

Bottom line: You have no written lease. Your landlord/roommate has the legal authority to give you notice to vacate, which she has done. If you do not vacate, she can have you evicted. If you still want to stay, you have to convince your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. She has all the power. You don't have any. You have been given suggestions that might help your cause with convincing your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. You have rejected those suggestions giving the impression that you somehow think that you have any power in the situation. Again, you do not.

You appear to have an ideal living situation vis a vis your employment and you appear to want to keep it. Why in the world you would be so stubborn as to let things get to this point at all is beyond me.

I am done with trying to help you.
I agree.

And OP ...If I am agreeing with LD then you MUST be wrong. ;)

:D

Blue..:)

Last edited:

mmmagique

I don't think she's an idiot. She's young and stubborn. She's well spoken and feels she is in the right. (OP, you are wrong) If you really do want to stay, get a fan or an air conditioner and learn to deal with it. If you don't want to do that you need to find somewhere else to live. You really don't want an eviction on your record, especially if you plan to pursue a professional career. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">