• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Roommate Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Subtenant

The blithering idiot bit was a reaction to you stating that your landlord/roommate was "no smarter than a rock". Based on this thread, your landlord/roommate clearly understands the law far better than you do.

Bottom line: You have no written lease. Your landlord/roommate has the legal authority to give you notice to vacate, which she has done. If you do not vacate, she can have you evicted. If you still want to stay, you have to convince your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. She has all the power. You don't have any. You have been given suggestions that might help your cause with convincing your landlord/roommate to allow you to stay. You have rejected those suggestions giving the impression that you somehow think that you have any power in the situation. Again, you do not.

You appear to have an ideal living situation vis a vis your employment and you appear to want to keep it. Why in the world you would be so stubborn as to let things get to this point at all is beyond me.

I am done with trying to help you.
Here's where the power lies. I have knowledge and she does not. She knows nothing about eviction notices or any of this information. I'm gaining knowledge should I need it. And I never said I had all the power but knowledge is power and I now, thanks to y'all, I have that.

mmmagique

It's what you *do* with that knowledge that makes the difference. You absolutely do have some knowledge now, be careful how you use it.

Gail in Georgia

"She knows nothing about eviction notices or any of this information."

Neither do you.

One last time....learn....

1. In the absence of a written lease (specifying a beginning and ending date) you have a month to month tenancy.

2. To terminate this tenancy your landlord must provide you with a 30 day written notice of such. This is NOT an eviction notice. Learn the difference. A landlord cannot evict anyone. Only a court can grant an actual eviction. This termination notice need not provide any reason for doing so.

3. If you are provided with such and fail to move out within this time period, the landlord can then file for an eviction based on the fact you are now considered a "holdover" tenant.

4. The case will, eventually, go before the court where both sides can present their evidence as to whether the judgment for eviction should or should not be granted. Your argument (it appears) will be that you have a year lease in this residence. The court will then ask you produce this lease as your evidence of such. Crickets will then chirp in this court as they wait for you to produce what you do not have in writing.

5. Month to month tenancies are great if someone wishes to move quickly (i.e., students who may transfer to other schools or someone who may find they need to make rapid career moves) but they provide little or no stability for someone who wishes a long term tenancy. For that, a signed lease is a better option.

All this when it's far easier to simply purchase a fan or window unit for your bedroom.

Gail

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Because there is no air conditioning on even when it hits 90 degrees. And last night while I was sleeping she completely turned it off. Also I have asthma and I can't have the bad summer air quality so I need the A/C at least blowing out something.

But technically I don't have to vacate unless she serves an eviction through the courts correct? She doesn't know that so I won't be leaving. At least until she figures out the proper legal action. It's illegal to rent to someone and then because you change your mind kick them out. This is going to be hard since she has 0 grounds. The thermostat being moved down six degrees so that air actually comes out is not grounds and is actually laughable to attempt to evict someone on.
So you signed a lease right? If not, she can just decide to give you 30 days notice and kick you out then.

ETA" Should have read the whole thread. Dang.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When I moved in the verbal lease was one year from April 1st. If I need to stay past October 1st and she doesn't want me to she would need to evict me because the non renewing situation wouldn't be around until next year.
Wrong. Verbal is month to month. End of story.

ETA: Again, I should have read the whole thread.

Subtenant, you are an idiot. You are not as knowledgeable as you think.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">