+ Reply to Thread
    MidnightMonkey is offline Junior Member

"I'm 18 and I can do whatever I want!"

When my roomate and I moved into a rental home here in Georgia, and signed our current lease, his son was 17 years old and was listed under the "minor children who will be living on the premises" clause. (his father and I are not related, but we are the two adult signees on the lease) Since his 18th birthday, he has become a problem, and I feel that being that he is now an ADULT living with us who is not a leasee, either his father, myself, or both of us have the right to throw him out. Basically, I feel that he, like any other adult, may only live with us if both of us (the leasees) agree to allow him to do so. Am I right?

Also, when it comes time to renew the lease, will this 18 year old...if he's still living with us.. be required to sign it as a leasee given his adult status? (In other words, do all telants who are 18 years of age or older have to sign the lease?)
    FarmerJ is offline Senior Member
    If the LL catches his turning 18 and wants to include him on the lease the LL might offer a new lease at renewal that reflects the change , BUT its possible the LL wont, his being listed on the original lease and turning 18 now means nothing for him unless he is asked to sign a new lease at the same time his parent and you are signing a new one . My guess is his turning 18 only means that the two of you are able to treat him as a sublet now and if you have to kick him out that you should follow your states laws for notices to month to month renters.
    Cvillecpm is offline Senior Member
    Son needs to shape up or ship out....preferably in the military to get the discipline and guidance he has not gotten for the last 18 years.....you and other named lessee are responsible for his actions unless you remove him * change the locks!!
    E.Rodriguez is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cvillecpm View Post
    Son needs to shape up or ship out....preferably in the military to get the discipline and guidance he has not gotten for the last 18 years.....you and other named lessee are responsible for his actions unless you remove him * change the locks!!
    Omg. you cannot change the locks.

The boy should be made to leave the home properly. ... make him want to leave on his own, or take legal action against him.

Dont change the locks, that is illegal.
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMonkey View Post
    Basically, I feel that he, like any other adult, may only live with us if both of us (the leasees) agree to allow him to do so. Am I right?
    No.

Also, when it comes time to renew the lease, will this 18 year old...if he's still living with us.. be required to sign it as a leasee given his adult status?
    Depends ENTIRELY on what your landlord wants... and how they handle your adult child.
    Baranov is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E.Rodriguez View Post
    Omg. you cannot change the locks.

The boy should be made to leave the home properly. ... make him want to leave on his own, or take legal action against him.

Dont change the locks, that is illegal.
    Changing of locks will not only show him the parents mean business, but the probability that teenager has money to hire a lawyer is slim. Assuming that a court awards damages, it might be worth it just to get rid of him.
    Parents could look at it as a going away gift.
    ecmst12 is offline Senior Member
    He wouldn't necessarily need money, I'm sure there are plenty of legal aid firms out there that LOVE to go after illegal lockouts.

You can't throw him out if his dad wants to let him stay.
    JETX is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it fascinating how some of these threads get contaminated by incorrect and outright LAUGHABLE 'advice'.... from those who don't know??