• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm Disabled, Renting and the house I am in is a Disaster!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joeyinpa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hi All,
This is my very first time posting as I just joined looking for suggestions or advice. I am physically disabled as well as having a multitude of other health problems, such as COPD.

I moved into the house I am in almost 9 years ago. They're were several things that were obviously needed at that time, but the Landlord promised he would take care of all in a very timely manner.
It's now been almost 9 years, and I am afraid the house is making me sicker. The LL has been promising, year after year, to replace the roof, as it leaks, has shingles that fly off during any rain or thunder storm. But still, he hasn't anything, including the roof. This past Spring, he did have a "Handy-Man" come in and proceed to put plastic underneath the roof, in our attic, from one end to the other.

Since doing the "plastic job", the rain now collects in the plastic, then runs down the walls,, creates mold, and equally as bad, the walls AND ceilings are beginning to crack, and in major form. In one of the rooms, if you simply touch the ceiling with a finger, plaster falls everywhere.

I saw my Primary Doctor a few days ago and asked if he would write a letter advising me to move. After telling him of the environment, he did so willingly and emphatically; stating that my COPD has gotten significantly worse just in the past 6 months alone.

Being on Social Security is the reason I haven't already moved. But, I am wondering what else I could do, if anything.

Any Advice/Suggestions will be Greatly Appreciated!
Joey*

justalayman

call the health department
call the building codes enforcement office
call any local renters advocates office, if available

Alaska landlord

PA has "repair and deduct" legislation that you can take advantage of. It has stipulations that you must adhere to and a procedure that you must follow. Visit your landlord tenant website for the specifics.

Cvillecpm

Call your local "community organizer" and determine your options for locating alternative rental housine and moving....I suspect you are not paying market rent and the property owner is not getting sufficient income to effect the necessary repairs.

FYI - you complain too much and the city/county may condemn the property and make you move anyway

BL

Call your local "community organizer" and determine your options for locating alternative rental housine and moving....I suspect you are not paying market rent and the property owner is not getting sufficient income to effect the necessary repairs.

FYI - you complain too much and the city/county may condemn the property and make you move anyway
So what ? The renter has COPD , staying there in the present condition makes it worse . Of course slumlords do not really care .

I suppose you condone a slum lord that attempts plastic as a repair/replacement for a roof .

If the owner can not afford repairs ,they shouldn't be in the business.

joeyinpa

Actually this happens to be the LL's "business", buying rental houses, doing as little as possible, knowing someone will move in without doing a thorough inspection. It happened when he rented out the other side of the house we live in. It was occupied by gentleman from a Mental Retardation Program, with staff. The State paid their rent and eventually had to move them as the LL would not adhere to their demands.

By July 1st., I will be able to move, but am trying to gather enough knowledge and advice to do so without letting him do this to the next "suckers". $515 plus all Utilities here in Scranton PA. is pretty much the average for the type of housing, but not the "condition" of it.

Thank You All So Far for the Advice!
JoeyLee*

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Try this, it's a link to the Google results for "repair and deduct" and "Pennsylvania. You'll have to copy and paste the link.

http://tinyurl.com/kmnpdd

Alaska landlord

So what ? The renter has COPD , staying there in the present condition makes it worse . Of course slumlords do not really care .

I suppose you condone a slum lord that attempts plastic as a repair/replacement for a roof .

If the owner can not afford repairs ,they shouldn't be in the business.
Plastic can be very useful till repairs can properly done.
You really can't blame the landlord for all of OP's medical problems, especially if he is a smoker and continues to smoke. A call to the proper authorities may very well lead to op having to look elsewhere for housing.

OP has to weigh his options BEFORE he acts not afterwards.

joeyinpa

Thank You for the link, but from what I just read, the costs to repair cannot exceed a month's rent. In this case, from what a few people have told me, one being my Primary Medical Doctor, the chances are extremely high that if inspected, it will be condemned.

As far as "complaining", I have not done ANY, yet. I have told the LL at least 3 times a year for the past 5, if not 6, of the walls and the ceilings. His promises, for five years has been to repair the roof. His only repair has been sheets of plastic.

I'm assuming it might be my best option, unfortunately, to wait until I am ready to move, call the Housing Authority and then if they do condemn, I will be ready.

I am more looking for legal recourse and what I should do to obtain proof, ie: pictures, video?

Thanks Again in Advance,
JoeyLee* :confused:

Hot Topic

Tenants should always put complaints in writing and send them to the landlord via certified mail, return receipt requested. If the mail is returned, the tenant shouldn't open it but keep it for evidence should the matter proceed to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">