• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper Rental Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.

A few months ago, I notified the LL that I'd be 100.00 late on rent. The following month I paid the rent plus the 100.00 I was late on. I was subsequently given a late fee of 50.00, which I refused to pay because it was unreasonably high for just being 100.00 late on rent. Now, I get a notice of rental increase of 50.00. The other tenants only got a notice to increase 25.00. Is this acceptable? Is it a retaliatory rental increase? I understand that if I got the same rent increase as the other tenants, it would be unreasonable to dispute it, but I believe I'm right in this situation. Any advice?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you subject to rent control?

Are you on a term lease, or month-to-month?

FarmerJ

I too don't see any issue with the LL raising your rent that much (unless your state law says other wise) you know your LL could just say `heck with you , its time for you to get out and send to you proper notice telling you to get out and if you don't then to use the court system and get you out any way, beside creating a nice n neat little paper trail that leads to court records that other LLs would learn of and be able to use as reason to refuse to rent to you in the future.

Unless there's more to the story, the landlord is free to raise different rents by different amounts.
In this case, the LL raised the rent by 25.00 on 3 tenants that have a 1 bedroom apartment like I do, but raised my rent 50.00 (25.00 more than the others)! I know I have a legitimate case--I just thought that someone could point me to a statute or another case that could help support my case. Thanks anyway.

I too don't see any issue with the LL raising your rent that much (unless your state law says other wise) you know your LL could just say `heck with you , its time for you to get out and send to you proper notice telling you to get out and if you don't then to use the court system and get you out any way, beside creating a nice n neat little paper trail that leads to court records that other LLs would learn of and be able to use as reason to refuse to rent to you in the future.
I'm not worried about any paper trails that could result in LL's refusing to rent to me in the future. I'm just requesting advice pointing me to any Ca. statutes or laws that can support my belief that I'm being retaliated agaisnt for not paying a late fee that represents 50% of the amount I was late paying rent.

Can't you advisors on this site see that IT IS unreasonable for my rent to be increased by 50.00 a month while others with the SAME SIZE apartments only get their rent increased by 25.00 per month? Thanks for your help (sarcasm), but I guess I'll have to find the answers to my questions from someone who knows. :(

TigerD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.

A few months ago, I notified the LL that I'd be 100.00 late on rent. The following month I paid the rent plus the 100.00 I was late on. I was subsequently given a late fee of 50.00, which I refused to pay because it was unreasonably high for just being 100.00 late on rent. Now, I get a notice of rental increase of 50.00. The other tenants only got a notice to increase 25.00. Is this acceptable? Is it a retaliatory rental increase? I understand that if I got the same rent increase as the other tenants, it would be unreasonable to dispute it, but I believe I'm right in this situation. Any advice?
That was nice of him. When I have problem tenants I want to choose to leave, I raise the rent 50 percent. If they stay, I get paid a little extra for dealing with them. If they go, I lose a problem.

DC

TigerD

I'm not worried about any paper trails that could result in LL's refusing to rent to me in the future.
While you should be - it is California and they do things differently out there.

I'm just requesting advice pointing me to any Ca. statutes or laws that can support my belief that I'm being retaliated agaisnt for not paying a late fee that represents 50% of the amount I was late paying rent.
1. You aren't being retaliated against.
2. You should have been evicted.
3. The rent is paid or it is not paid. If you are late with $1 of the rent - it is late and incurs a fee. This isn't rocket science.
Can't you advisors on this site see that IT IS unreasonable for my rent to be increased by 50.00 a month while others with the SAME SIZE apartments only get their rent increased by 25.00 per month?
It isn't unreasonable. Perhaps the other tenants pay their rent on time.

Thanks for your help (sarcasm), but I guess I'll have to find the answers to my questions from someone who knows. :(
The senior members (except for that one) on this forum represent decades of experience. They know.

DC

That was nice of him. When I have problem tenants I want to choose to leave, I raise the rent 50 percent. If they stay, I get paid a little extra for dealing with them. If they go, I lose a problem.

DC
So I'm a problem tenant, huh? Why? Just because I am disputing a rental increase that is 25.00 more than all the other tenants who have the same size apartment?

It is obvious your post indicates a strong bias in favor of LL's. ;)

And, I've only been late twice paying the full amount of rent in the 5 years I've been there, so that isn't a problem for the LL.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Nope, you are a problem tenant because you cannot afford your rent and think it is okay to shaft your landlord on the rent until you decide to pay him.

So I'm a problem tenant, huh? Why? Just because I am disputing a rental increase that is 25.00 more than all the other tenants who have the same size apartment?

It is obvious your post indicates a strong bias in favor of LL's. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">