• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improvements that we consider done, but LL wants more done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohiocolleen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

We basically rebuilt a barn on the property because it was unsafe for horses, and we wanted to board horses. LL was fine with that, but now they want us to do more to the barn. Our goal was to make the barn safe- it is. We do not want to do anything else to it. Do we have to finish to their specs? We have paid for everything, and done all the labor. LL has not contributed anything. We also have nothing in writing either way. (saying we had to do it, or it had to be done a certain way)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

We basically rebuilt a barn on the property because it was unsafe for horses, and we wanted to board horses. LL was fine with that, but now they want us to do more to the barn. Our goal was to make the barn safe- it is. We do not want to do anything else to it. Do we have to finish to their specs? We have paid for everything, and done all the labor. LL has not contributed anything. We also have nothing in writing either way. (saying we had to do it, or it had to be done a certain way)
Well...I guess you could simply remove the unauthorized work you did to the property...right?

adjusterjack

Can't answer that question without knowing exactly what you did to the barn and exactly what more the landlord wants you to do?

However, I can think of one possible scenario that could make you responsible for additional work. If the barn was built a long time ago and not up to current code by doing work on it you brought it into the current code requirements. If you didn't do your work according to code or didn't get the proper permits and inspections then you might have more to do.

If that's not what's happening you'll have to provide more details.

ohiocolleen

Can't answer that question without knowing exactly what you did to the barn and exactly what more the landlord wants you to do?

However, I can think of one possible scenario that could make you responsible for additional work. If the barn was built a long time ago and not up to current code by doing work on it you brought it into the current code requirements. If you didn't do your work according to code or didn't get the proper permits and inspections then you might have more to do.

If that's not what's happening you'll have to provide more details.
The barn was built 12 years ago. We didn't pull any permits. The barn's structure was good, but the siding was pressboard, and had deteriorated over time to the point that, whenever it rained, large chunks of it would fall off. Also, we replaced the leaky roof with a new roof.

The LL wants us to add doors to stalls that did not have working doors before, and possibly repaint it.

xylene

I think your landlord's request that you paint the barn, especially after major siding repairs is reasonable.
Very reasonable and understandable in fact. Part of a complete job.

The stall doors, that seems like something to negotiate on.

ohiocolleen

After paying for, and providing all materials and labor to repair a barn that was falling down, I feel that we have done more than enough. We even added a feed room per LL request. The barn is now suitable for livestock again. I feel that making it pretty isn't our responsibility, however, I could be wrong. Am I wrong? Will I lose in court?

FarmerJ

Id suggest you just keep a eye out towards finding another place and that includes buying one incase this LL wont renew with you and cease doing any more work on any of it other than keeping it clean.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">