• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indemnity Confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CanadianNate

What is the name of your state? Oregon
In the lease agreement i was sent by my future landlord, it included the following provision.

INDEMNIFICATION. Landlord shall not be liable for any damage or injury of or to the Tenant, Tenant's family, guests, invitees, agents or employees or to any person entering the Premises or the building of which the Premises are a part or to goods or equipment, or in the structure or equipment of the structure of which the Premises are a part, and Tenant hereby agrees to indemnify, defend and hold Landlord harmless from any and all claims or assertions of every kind and nature.

My roommate thinks this is completely out of line and believes that we're opening ourselves up to getting sued for something that wouldn't be covered by renters insurance. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on what this is actually saying. thanks.

acmb05

CanadianNate said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon
In the lease agreement i was sent by my future landlord, it included the following provision.

INDEMNIFICATION. Landlord shall not be liable for any damage or injury of or to the Tenant, Tenant's family, guests, invitees, agents or employees or to any person entering the Premises or the building of which the Premises are a part or to goods or equipment, or in the structure or equipment of the structure of which the Premises are a part, and Tenant hereby agrees to indemnify, defend and hold Landlord harmless from any and all claims or assertions of every kind and nature.

My roommate thinks this is completely out of line and believes that we're opening ourselves up to getting sued for something that wouldn't be covered by renters insurance. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on what this is actually saying. thanks.
What it means is if you and some friends are on the balcony and it collapses you agree not to sue them. Basically you are holding them blameless if anything were to happen, if it is the apartment communities fault such as faulty wireing, faulty playground equipment, things such as that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">