• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Information legally allowed for landlord to obtain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nrgmagic

What is the name of your state? california
I have lived in an apartment for 4 years and we have new management who is asking for SS#, Drivers license and car registration. Is this legal under Ca law?

MIRAKALES

New management is probably reconciling inherited records. Property owners are required to maintain accurate information on existing tenants for legal reasons. The social security, driver's license, and vehicle registration are standard rental application information. The social security is for background check. The driver's license is to confirm identity. The vehicle registration is for parking conditions. (Street parking can sometimes be at issue in association with residency and parking violations, towing, etc.) In addition, not providing the information will only confirm that undocumented tenants are residing in the rental.
What reasons do you have for not providing the information (since management already has it, anyway)?

nrgmagic

I did give this information to the old manager when I applied to live here and was approved. Didn't the new management inherit that information when they took over? Given that I already gave this information out, I don't quite see why I have to do it again. They already did a background/credit check, my car registration and drivers license have not changed.

It seems a bit intrusive and lazy on their part, like they're just fishing to see if they can dredge up anything.

Alaska landlord

Is it not possible that you may not be who you present yourself to be? Your old landlord may be positive of your identity, but your new landlord doesn't know you. I take copies of DL, but some LL's only write down your DL# your new LL is doing himself and you a service by identifying all occupants.

ecmst12

Or your old LL lost some records and new LL needs to get the information updated. Or you may have gotten a different car since then and they want to make sure they have the right one on file. You already gave the information out once, so what's the big deal about doing it again? Nothing prohibits the LL from asking or requiring the info, and if you are month-to-month, they can give you notice to move if you do not comply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">