• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inherited Property-No Key-What Can I Do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MidgesMess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I just found out that I inherited 1/3 of a piece property in 2007 when my mother died. This information was concealed from me. I found out by "accident" when a bill for home owner's insurance was sent to my house by mistake. They had to put my name on the insurance to receive full payment if the house was damaged, but they did not tell me they had done this.

Now that I know, I have asked for a key. They are refusing to give me one. What are my rights? Can I change the locks and give them a key from that along with a bill for my services? Or, should I hire a locksmith and each owner pays 1/3 of the bill? I know I have a right to inspect my property. I do not know what rights I have or what the proper legal procedure is to make that happen.

Thank you!

MidgesMess

Thank you for your thoughts.

Anyone else?

Can I change the lock myself?

I am not worried about how much a locksmith costs. I need to know if I can legally hire one and if the cost is shared between all owners?

The lawyer I have says I can't do anything about them concealing the inheritance from me because they claim they could not find me. She said due diligence is a tricky thing to prove either way even though I have documented proof one of the people (not the person who handled the estate) knew where to find me. He came to my house, sent cards, etc.

Lawyer has been out of town, so I can't get advice on this until she gets back. I know they are doing things inside of the house this week without my permission or consent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Lawyer has been out of town, so I can't get advice on this until she gets back. I know they are doing things inside of the house this week without my permission or consent.
They don't have to have your permission or consent to do things inside of their house.

xylene

If your lawyer is giving you a wishy washy answer about people attempting to steal from you...

Get a different lawyer.

You state they had your address the entire time... :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">