• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invalid Lease agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wolflips

What is the name of your state? Colorado

[sorry if this ends up being a repost, there were errors reported on the previous posting attempt]

Some background on our situation:
My wife and I reciently married and have been trying to work with her landlord on ending her lease agreement early. He stood us up for the first 3 times we had agreed to meet to discuss this matter and was 2 hours late when we finally did meet. He agreed to 'let us out of the lease', but wanted to keep half of her security deposit for 'wear and tear' on the apartment (I have reciently found out that this is not allowed by Colorado state law). He placed an ad, which my wife and I paid for to relist the property - he listed the wrong price on the ad and I had to call in and change it. We offered to do the showings for him when we had time, he said that we would need a copy of his renters application and promised to send me an electronic copy that same day. It's been over a week, and not only have I not recieved a copy of the application, he has failed to return multiple calls in regards to this. I feel that while my wife and I have acted in good faith so far, he has not and might be attempting to force us into a different situation.

His actions have caused me to examin my wife's lease, to see if there was a clause for early termination of the lease. While reviewing the lease, I noticed that the date of the agreement is missing (looks like he left the day blank to be filled in later, but never filled it in). He also failed to sign the lease agreement. There are specific spots for the renter and landlord to sign.

The question now is; is this lease valid and binding? I am preparing a certified letter to send to him and it would be most helpful to know if the lease is valid before i send it to him. Is there a statue or ruling that I can reference, look up or educate myself about?

Thanks for any and all suggestions, information and answers.

Stu

HomeGuru

wolflips said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

[sorry if this ends up being a repost, there were errors reported on the previous posting attempt]

Some background on our situation:
My wife and I reciently married and have been trying to work with her landlord on ending her lease agreement early. He stood us up for the first 3 times we had agreed to meet to discuss this matter and was 2 hours late when we finally did meet. He agreed to 'let us out of the lease', but wanted to keep half of her security deposit for 'wear and tear' on the apartment (I have reciently found out that this is not allowed by Colorado state law). He placed an ad, which my wife and I paid for to relist the property - he listed the wrong price on the ad and I had to call in and change it. We offered to do the showings for him when we had time, he said that we would need a copy of his renters application and promised to send me an electronic copy that same day. It's been over a week, and not only have I not recieved a copy of the application, he has failed to return multiple calls in regards to this. I feel that while my wife and I have acted in good faith so far, he has not and might be attempting to force us into a different situation.

His actions have caused me to examin my wife's lease, to see if there was a clause for early termination of the lease. While reviewing the lease, I noticed that the date of the agreement is missing (looks like he left the day blank to be filled in later, but never filled it in). He also failed to sign the lease agreement. There are specific spots for the renter and landlord to sign.

The question now is; is this lease valid and binding? I am preparing a certified letter to send to him and it would be most helpful to know if the lease is valid before i send it to him. Is there a statue or ruling that I can reference, look up or educate myself about?

Thanks for any and all suggestions, information and answers.

Stu
**A: did your wife sign the lease and give it to L?

W

wolflips

Yes, she signed the lease. I guess the question was more along the lines of is a contract that is not signed by both parties and not dated valid.

HomeGuru

wolflips said:
Yes, she signed the lease. I guess the question was more along the lines of is a contract that is not signed by both parties and not dated valid.
**A: and since the landlord has a copy with her signature, that is legally binding. I am willing to bet that the landlord will be able to produce that lease signed by both parties to the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">