• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement for Possession - NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowz

The tenants have been issued a Judgement for Possession in settling a disput for non payment of rent.

They have 2 add'l months to move out.

How long does it take for the judgement to showup when doing a credit check on them?

The day after getting the judgement, they now tell us that they will leave by the end of the month, [insufficient notice to vacate] and want their Sec. Dep. back by the end of this week so that they can get into a new place.

We have declined to do so until after they vacate & we have had the chance to inspect. What is left will be returned to them beforethe end of the 30 days of their vacating.

That is correct procedure, no?

Thank you.

RowZ

sandyclaus

The tenants have been issued a Judgement for Possession in settling a disput for non payment of rent.

They have 2 add'l months to move out.

How long does it take for the judgement to showup when doing a credit check on them?

The day after getting the judgement, they now tell us that they will leave by the end of the month, [insufficient notice to vacate] and want their Sec. Dep. back by the end of this week so that they can get into a new place.

We have declined to do so until after they vacate & we have had the chance to inspect. What is left will be returned to them beforethe end of the 30 days of their vacating.

That is correct procedure, no?

Thank you.

RowZ
You are under no obligation to return the security deposit balance owed (if any) until you have properly inspected the property for damages. If they are going to move by the end of the week, they have no business expecting to have the security deposit back to do so.

Check with someone with more knowledge than me, but if you've been awarded a judgement against them for nonpayment of rent, then I believe that you're entitled to keep the security deposit against the money owed to you.

FarmerJ

Row since you have a court set date they must be out by , there is no promise they will leave by the time they are supposed to be out , you still might have to follow thru and force them out via the court system. If they bring up the deposit again tell them you will follow your states law for deposits as soon as they vacate and no sooner. (meaning youll get your chance to inspect and determine damages as soon as they are out) thats when the time clock starts ticking , take with you on inspection day a camera and take a lot of pics even if the damage is not outrageous but more than normal wear and tear and make sure you change the locks the same day they are out.

rowz

thank you all for your replies.

I know that the settlement agreement is the bottom line, but these goobers are trying to change things around to suit them.

In settling we collected Feb. & March with 500.00 off to stay out of the courtroom and put an end to it.

Now they want to be out at the end of the month with no penalty.
If I tried to change my mind about abiding by the Settlement I can just imagine the Courts reaction.

they were given an escape clause, but they still need to give 30 day notice.

I was able to reach the Supervising Mediator who handled our case and he re-assured me of the serious manner in which the Court would treat any breach by either party.

They are stuck, they want to get into a new place April 1, get the Security April 1, and have us sign a hold harmless agreement.
If I was a different kind of person I would go to the new place [a new REIT owned, mega apt.complex] and give thema copy of the Judgement for Possession, but tis likely they really would not be able to get out

Ummmmm, its not gonna happen like that.

Oh....and OUR atty. called today and tried to get us to agree to their demands.
Sat. I dropped a letter to him at his home telling him my position and also telling him to stop talking to them.

Though they called him, I am really PO'd that he still takes their calls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">