• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just married, landlord refused to allow spouse on the lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cap911

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was just married last week, and I went to my landlord to add my spouse on to the lease. She was refused due to work history, and according to the lease anyone not named on it is considered a guest. Guests are only allowed to stay 7 days without written permission.

What I wanted to know is there a way to break the lease because of this, or someway to get her onto the lease?

Another thing I wanted to add is this is my third consecutive lease with these people, my first and third applications (third lease is just over a month old) showed less work history than her current application.
The only work history they consider is time at current job, and I happened to apply twice while starting a new job.

sandyclaus

I was just married last week, and I went to my landlord to add my spouse on to the lease. She was refused due to work history, and according to the lease anyone not named on it is considered a guest. Guests are only allowed to stay 7 days without written permission.

What I wanted to know is there a way to break the lease because of this, or someway to get her onto the lease?

Another thing I wanted to add is this is my third consecutive lease with these people, my first and third applications (third lease is just over a month old) showed less work history than her current application.
The only work history they consider is time at current job, and I happened to apply twice while starting a new job.
If you knew you were going to be married, then why did you not address the issue of putting this additional person on the lease BEFORE you signed the new lease? If they weren't going to allow you to add this person to your lease, then you would have known not to sign the new lease.

cap911

If you knew you were going to be married, then why did you not address the issue of putting this additional person on the lease BEFORE you signed the new lease? If they weren't going to allow you to add this person to your lease, then you would have known not to sign the new lease.
I had talked to the landlord about it before hand, she told me it would not be a problem to have someone added. But she quit between then and now and her replacement is far less helpful.

But for the sake of argument, what would the difference be being 2 months into my lease and being 8 months as far this matter is concerned. Maybe it was a short engagement.

hobs

When You say " Landlord " are You saying that the property was sold to someone else and now You have a new landlord or do You mean property manager who runs the place ( who do you write rent checks to or whatever ? ) If it is just a property manager then there is someone above them which means you can talk to someone else. Marriage is a " life changing event " as far as I know, legally speaking. If you have a good standing record with them , You may be able to take care of this quickly
I hope it all works out for You.
Good luck.

cap911

When You say " Landlord " are You saying that the property was sold to someone else and now You have a new landlord or do You mean property manager who runs the place ( who do you write rent checks to or whatever ? ) If it is just a property manager then there is someone above them which means you can talk to someone else. Marriage is a " life changing event " as far as I know, legally speaking. If you have a good standing record with them , You may be able to take care of this quickly
I hope it all works out for You.
Good luck.
Eh, ya I guess I mean property manager. She refused to let me talk to the owner.

I guess I have to wait to see him around -_-

LdiJ

How odd...:confused:

Obviously you qualified for the lease on your own, all along. Even if your new spouse had bad credit I am totally confused about why your landlord would refuse to add your new spouse as at least an occupant, even if not an additional tenant. Its completely illogical.

The landlord would have to know that it would lead to you needing to break your lease if your spouse couldn't live with you...and why would a landlord want to lose a long term tenant?

Quite odd....

cap911

How odd...:confused:

Obviously you qualified for the lease on your own, all along. Even if your new spouse had bad credit I am totally confused about why your landlord would refuse to add your new spouse as at least an occupant, even if not an additional tenant. Its completely illogical.

The landlord would have to know that it would lead to you needing to break your lease if your spouse couldn't live with you...and why would a landlord want to lose a long term tenant?

Quite odd....
Well to be honest, I think its because my wife comes with a kid. The new property manager didn't seem to have a problem with putting her on the lease until she heard about that.

I think I'll see if I can find someone to take over my lease, since I couldn't find anything on the internet that would legally help me in this situation

Thanks for the help anyways!

The judge would follow the law and allow the LL to evict them per statute.
No. The judge will tell the LL to work it out. Or AT WORST cancel the lease after 30 days & the OP will owe the LL nothing upon moving. There is no "law" that says a judge cannot do either.

Plus the OP is living with her husband now ...

Many folks are just fear-mongers....I give the straight dope on how judges rule.

Proserpina

No. The judge will tell the LL to work it out. Or AT WORST cancel the lease after 30 days & the OP will owe the LL nothing upon moving. There is no "law" that says a judge cannot do either.

Plus the OP is living with her husband now ...

Many folks are just fear-mongers....I give the straight dope on how judges rule.

You're going to guarantee that result for OP? Interesting.

Let's see how that plays out, shall we? :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">