• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicked out without notice. (Please help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mworthington35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Me and my wife have been living with her mother for close to 1.5 years. We had a verbal agreement to pay gas and electric bill as well as the cable bill to stay in the upper bedroom. We got into an argument the other day and she kicked out us. I called the cops and they told me we had to leave. I was under the assumption we would have 30 days to leave, but we left and are living with my mother currently. Now she is setting specific time limits for us to get our stuff. (IE Saturday morning for an hour) We both have off next Wednesday and we wanted to do it then but she is saying no. My questions are: 1. is she allowed to kick us out without notice. 2. Can she set such strict restrictions on us to get our stuff.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Who's Liable?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Me and my wife have been living with her mother for close to 1.5 years. We had a verbal agreement to pay gas and electric bill as well as the cable bill to stay in the upper bedroom. We got into an argument the other day and she kicked out us. I called the cops and they told me we had to leave. I was under the assumption we would have 30 days to leave, but we left and are living with my mother currently. Now she is setting specific time limits for us to get our stuff. (IE Saturday morning for an hour) We both have off next Wednesday and we wanted to do it then but she is saying no. My questions are: 1. is she allowed to kick us out without notice. 2. Can she set such strict restrictions on us to get our stuff.

Thanks for any help I can get.
You can sue her for unlawful eviciton and factor in the costs of having to leave. As for your items, your best bet is to accommodate her or go to the PD and have them accompany you to get your items. IF you do it that way, make sure you get ALL your items.

mworthington35

I was told by the police officer they would only be allowed to stay for 5-10 minutes, it is going to take an hour or 2 to pack everything up. I got that officers name and badge number because I wasn't sure if that wasn't correct. To make matters worse, while we were still in shock from getting kicked out, my mother-in-law, her boyfriends, and the police are laughing it up inside while were are trying to get as many things into my small car. I guesse I'll have to just do it this Saturday. I would love to sue her for as much as possible, but that will just make this event last even longer, and I doubt they would pay us anything if we won.

Thanks for the info.

Mrs. D

Did the police come out when you were kicked out? At that point, the police might not have been able to supervise removal of your property, but if you call them and schedule a time with them, they can plan to be there for an hour or two. I'm not condoning the biased attitude you describe them as displaying, just saying that they can't always stick around for a long time on an unscheduled call with no immediate threat present.

mworthington35

Did the police come out when you were kicked out? At that point, the police might not have been able to supervise removal of your property, but if you call them and schedule a time with them, they can plan to be there for an hour or two. I'm not condoning the biased attitude you describe them as displaying, just saying that they can't always stick around for a long time on an unscheduled call with no immediate threat present.
I called the police myself when they kicked me out, I thought there might be violence. The officer that came said if we scheduled something with the police at a later time to supervise our property removal, they could only be there for 5-10 minutes. "They don't have all the time in the world to wait for us" or something like that. Thats the same cop I took the badge # and name from, as he was being ass-holeish to us.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">