• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land lord constantly on property and is verbally abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twystyd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
we rent house in a 4 unit semi with a detached garage in back. Landlord does not live on premises.The landlord comes here and pulls in the driveway every day most times a few times a day, including weekends and holidays, whether he is doing repairs or not without notice. He looks in the windows from outside. He uses the garage we rent to store his things without permission or notice. He hired a man to paint the back of the house, and now he is here everyday to watch him. Its been 8 weeks and the painting is still not done. I called him and explained that it is not ok to use the garage and that his presence is very disruptive. we cant get in and out of the driveway and when I do I cant park in the garage without moving things out of the way. Also I wake up on weekend to a strange man on a roof at my second floor bedroom window.I never received notice of any work being done on the house. As always he berates me and insists to speak to "the man of the house".He said that its his house and that I cant stop him from doing what he wants to do. If I don't like it, I need to move.When I told him I wont stand to be bullied he explained that he will continue doing what he is doing and I will have no choice to move. And that if I wont let him speak to the "man of the house" our conversation is over because I don't know what I am talking about and I make no sense and he will not listen to me and does not want for me to contact him again. That he will only speak to the" man of the house".

FarmerJ

Are you listed on this lease / rental agreement? (one of the signers ?) Does your written lease say it includes the garage space ?

HatRack

Is there any sharing of the garage space by the Landlord in the lease?

I don't know about NJ. In CA we don't have to tell the tenants about work we want to do to the exterior of the property.

However it is not very good ethics and I wouldn't do it myself.
Was the house built in 1978 or prior by chance? If so this maybe why it is
taking him so long. RRP= Lead paint laws.

Who's Liable?

Yes I am listed on the lease agreement< and yes the garage is mentioned in the lease agreement.
Send a letter CRR to your LL stating he MUST give proper notice to do repairs or enter the premises for repair work. Remind LL that failure to do so is in violation of your lease and any future instances will be dealt with accordingly.

If it continues to happen, call the police and report a trespasser, or if the LL is in the garage, a breaking and entering. The LL can talk to the police as to why they are there without properly giving notification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">