• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

land lord not responding, want to get out of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkent135

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york

I am a student and rent an apartment with 2 of my friends, in my lease it says utilities included. Some of the utilities it mentions are cable and security system. We have been paying rent since june and do not have access to either. I have called my landlord numerous times and he says he is coming but never does. Also there are plumbing problems iwth loose pipes and clearly there are leaks int eh ceiling when it rains. what should i do? can i get out of my lease? should i sue? how do i go about doing those things?

Who's Liable?

Stop calling and send letters via CRR. This creates a paper trail as well as formally puts the LL on notice.

Inform LL in the letter of what is included in the fees and that you don't have access to either. Inform LL you either need access or a deduction in rent of the value of said services.

Inform LL of the leaks as well as any plumbing problems. Also inform LL failure to act on his part may result in the local building inspection paying a visit.

jkent135

thank you for your help, one more question though could i ask for a reduction in rent regardless of whether he repairs it or not because i've already paid four months and didn't receieve the service? and should i withhold rent?

Who's Liable?

thank you for your help, one more question though could i ask for a reduction in rent regardless of whether he repairs it or not because i've already paid four months and didn't receieve the service? and should i withhold rent?
I wouldn't ask, I would demand it.

You can't withhold at this point becuase you don't know what their response is going to be.

Hot Topic

If it was that big a problem, you should have taken action four months ago by sending a certified letter, return receipt requested.

Searchertwin

You can ask for it but you won't get it. Why? Because the LL could say he was never inform of the problems. You have to start sending him a CRR letter of what the problems are. THAN if he refuses to respond you can THAN ask for rent reductions and not before. BUT, rent reductions DEPENDS on what the repairs entail. If it just a leaky faucet, nope, toilet that is running, nope, rain coming in from roof, yes...do you see the difference?
Also, take pictures.

jkent135

we want the rent reduction based on the fact there is no cable tv when it is included in our lease. this has been a stated problem for over a month. although we've had this house since june we are students and didnt actually move in til end of august. the cable has been mentioned repeatedly, the leaks in the ceiling were just discovered, its rained everyday for about a week

MrJenkins

we want the rent reduction based on the fact there is no cable tv when it is included in our lease. this has been a stated problem for over a month. although we've had this house since june we are students and didnt actually move in til end of august. the cable has been mentioned repeatedly, the leaks in the ceiling were just discovered, its rained everyday for about a week
you know for a student, you're not very smart.

you can claim you told the LL 1093485487 times, but until there is a paper trail, he'll just say "no you didn't". Can you prove you did? NO, because it was done verbally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">