• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Lord verbally assaulted me and attempted to come at me physically

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sing000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What is the name of your state CALIFORNIA (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

I moved into a guest house recently. Within a week of me moving in, the landlord used their key to come inside the house while I was taking a shower. He was knocking on my bathroom door while I was taking a shower:eek:

Thank God! I had the bathroom door locked. I was who it was and he said that he heard the fan running???? There is a silent fan on the bathroom. I turned on for about 5 minutes to complete the shower. This guy is supposedly deaf.

The called his wife afterwards and she apologized. So, I let it go but I did put a flip lock on the door so that nobody comes inside unless I let them in.

Also, whenever I leave and come back, I notice that my stuff has been moved around. The blinds would be slightly open and I started leaving things in a certain way and took pics before I left and sure enough when I get home, they are different.

Two days ago, I noticed the kitchen faucet does not work. So, I called the landlord's wife and let her know. They came and inspected. He was very grumpy and kicking his own dog at my place and telling his grand kids were playing outside and he told them "what are you doing here, go home"!

She said that he would have to buy the part and that for me to call them when I am ready because I am still cleaning and putting away boxes etc. I said no problem, I will call her tomorrow as soon as I work on the few boxes I have left.

The next day I heard a big knock on my door. I was startled, I opened the door and peeked my head out to see who is knocking like this. It was the land lord and he said, "you let me come in right now to fix the god damn faucet or you get your ass out". I said to him, hey, you can't talk to me like that, okay. His response was, "you dumb ass bitch" and had his fists clenched and he looked so angry he was moving his hands towards the door but I was able to push the door shut and locked it.

I called the police, they took the report and even they told me that he is losing it and it will be better for your safety to leave asap. The police told him to leave me alone and if he comes and gives me trouble that they will take action. So, I repacked everything found a storage to put all my stuff and I am temporarily staying with a friend all within 24 hours.

I cleaned the place really good, I have pictures. He told my friend (I don't want to speak to him) that he will decide how much money I should get on the deposit. Can you believe this guy? Also, may I say that there is no rental agreement. I asked for a receipt initially when I gave him the deposit so I do have proof.

Can I sue this guy for the following reasons:

1. Throwing me out without any warning or 30 day notice?
2. Coming into the guest house while I was taking the shower as the CA law states that he needs to give me 24 hour notice. His entry was not anything in regards to a safety measure.
3. Verbally assaulting me and attempted to come at me physically
4. Pain and suffering because I have been a Social Worker for ten years and I seen a lot of things but no one has ever spoke to me that way ever!
5. I had to put all my things in storage (storage expenses)
6. Moving expenses ( I paid over $600 dollars in one month to move into this guest house and then to get out within 24 hour notice I couldn't bargain shop I was so frightened to be there). I used the same movers who initially moved me in to this guest house and they couldn't believe that I had to move again.

Any advice would be very much appreciated it. I want to thank you in advance for your time and wisdom.

OHRoadwarrior

You are blowing things out of proportion. YOU chose to leave. I am not saying he isn't possibly a whack job, however, 1 is wrong. On 2, do you have any proof of this? On 3, the police didn't feel it was sufficient to recommend you press charges or arrest him. On 4, Get Real. On 5, again you chose to leave. On 6, you chose to leave again.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What is the name of your state CALIFORNIA (only U.S. law)?

Hi,

I moved into a guest house recently. Within a week of me moving in, the landlord used their key to come inside the house while I was taking a shower. He was knocking on my bathroom door while I was taking a shower:eek:

Thank God! I had the bathroom door locked. I was who it was and he said that he heard the fan running???? There is a silent fan on the bathroom. I turned on for about 5 minutes to complete the shower. This guy is supposedly deaf.

The called his wife afterwards and she apologized. So, I let it go but I did put a flip lock on the door so that nobody comes inside unless I let them in.

Also, whenever I leave and come back, I notice that my stuff has been moved around. The blinds would be slightly open and I started leaving things in a certain way and took pics before I left and sure enough when I get home, they are different.

Two days ago, I noticed the kitchen faucet does not work. So, I called the landlord's wife and let her know. They came and inspected. He was very grumpy and kicking his own dog at my place and telling his grand kids were playing outside and he told them "what are you doing here, go home"!

She said that he would have to buy the part and that for me to call them when I am ready because I am still cleaning and putting away boxes etc. I said no problem, I will call her tomorrow as soon as I work on the few boxes I have left.

The next day I heard a big knock on my door. I was startled, I opened the door and peeked my head out to see who is knocking like this. It was the land lord and he said, "you let me come in right now to fix the god damn faucet or you get your ass out". I said to him, hey, you can't talk to me like that, okay. His response was, "you dumb ass bitch" and had his fists clenched and he looked so angry he was moving his hands towards the door but I was able to push the door shut and locked it.

I called the police, they took the report and even they told me that he is losing it and it will be better for your safety to leave asap. The police told him to leave me alone and if he comes and gives me trouble that they will take action. So, I repacked everything found a storage to put all my stuff and I am temporarily staying with a friend all within 24 hours.

I cleaned the place really good, I have pictures. He told my friend (I don't want to speak to him) that he will decide how much money I should get on the deposit. Can you believe this guy? Also, may I say that there is no rental agreement. I asked for a receipt initially when I gave him the deposit so I do have proof.

Can I sue this guy for the following reasons:

1. Throwing me out without any warning or 30 day notice?
He didnt throw you out, you left on your own. and you owe for a 30 day notice you did'nt give. so if your deposit is one months rent, call it a wash.

What does the police report say exactly. why didnt you get a restraining order? if you had done so, then you would be due your security back.

2. Coming into the guest house while I was taking the shower as the CA law states that he needs to give me 24 hour notice. His entry was not anything in regards to a safety measure.
No, you cant sue for that. :rolleyes: thats criminal, and if the police didnt do anything, there is nothing that can be done.

3. Verbally assaulting me and attempted to come at me physically
Again, a criminal issue that you have no control over.

4. Pain and suffering because I have been a Social Worker for ten years and I seen a lot of things but no one has ever spoke to me that way ever!
LMAO. no.

5. I had to put all my things in storage (storage expenses)
No. you didnt have to go anywhere. that was YOUR CHOICE.

6. Moving expenses ( I paid over $600 dollars in one month to move into this guest house and then to get out within 24 hour notice I couldn't bargain shop I was so frightened to be there). I used the same movers who initially moved me in to this guest house and they couldn't believe that I had to move again.
Oh, for crimees sake. AGAIN, you didnt have to leave. you left on your own accord. this LL doesnt owe you any rent money back, no pain and suffering, no moving expenses, no storage fees, NOTHING.
you will be lucky to get any of your deposit back, because you paid the rent and security, binding you for at least 1 month, and thats if you dont give written notice that you are leaving in 30 days, before you paid the first months rent!!!!!... and then you gave no warning (NOTICE) that you were moving out.

When this comes to court, I'm sure you will find the judge grants him your security to cover the notice period.

Searchertwin

Come on guys and gals, she doesn't deserve to be told the truth after all in her own words, 'I have been a Social Worker for ten years and I seen a lot of things but no one has ever spoke to me that way ever!"

In my southern tone and hand held fan, " My, My, such big nasty words!":D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">