What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
What is the name of your state CALIFORNIA (only U.S. law)?
I moved into a guest house recently. Within a week of me moving in, the landlord used their key to come inside the house while I was taking a shower. He was knocking on my bathroom door while I was taking a shower
Thank God! I had the bathroom door locked. I was who it was and he said that he heard the fan running???? There is a silent fan on the bathroom. I turned on for about 5 minutes to complete the shower. This guy is supposedly deaf.
The called his wife afterwards and she apologized. So, I let it go but I did put a flip lock on the door so that nobody comes inside unless I let them in.
Also, whenever I leave and come back, I notice that my stuff has been moved around. The blinds would be slightly open and I started leaving things in a certain way and took pics before I left and sure enough when I get home, they are different.
Two days ago, I noticed the kitchen faucet does not work. So, I called the landlord's wife and let her know. They came and inspected. He was very grumpy and kicking his own dog at my place and telling his grand kids were playing outside and he told them "what are you doing here, go home"!
She said that he would have to buy the part and that for me to call them when I am ready because I am still cleaning and putting away boxes etc. I said no problem, I will call her tomorrow as soon as I work on the few boxes I have left.
The next day I heard a big knock on my door. I was startled, I opened the door and peeked my head out to see who is knocking like this. It was the land lord and he said, "you let me come in right now to fix the god damn faucet or you get your ass out". I said to him, hey, you can't talk to me like that, okay. His response was, "you dumb ass bitch" and had his fists clenched and he looked so angry he was moving his hands towards the door but I was able to push the door shut and locked it.
I called the police, they took the report and even they told me that he is losing it and it will be better for your safety to leave asap. The police told him to leave me alone and if he comes and gives me trouble that they will take action. So, I repacked everything found a storage to put all my stuff and I am temporarily staying with a friend all within 24 hours.
I cleaned the place really good, I have pictures. He told my friend (I don't want to speak to him) that he will decide how much money I should get on the deposit. Can you believe this guy? Also, may I say that there is no rental agreement. I asked for a receipt initially when I gave him the deposit so I do have proof.
Can I sue this guy for the following reasons:
1. Throwing me out without any warning or 30 day notice?
2. Coming into the guest house while I was taking the shower as the CA law states that he needs to give me 24 hour notice. His entry was not anything in regards to a safety measure.
3. Verbally assaulting me and attempted to come at me physically
4. Pain and suffering because I have been a Social Worker for ten years and I seen a lot of things but no one has ever spoke to me that way ever!
5. I had to put all my things in storage (storage expenses)
6. Moving expenses ( I paid over $600 dollars in one month to move into this guest house and then to get out within 24 hour notice I couldn't bargain shop I was so frightened to be there). I used the same movers who initially moved me in to this guest house and they couldn't believe that I had to move again.
Any advice would be very much appreciated it. I want to thank you in advance for your time and wisdom.