• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Lord won't pay-up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dominick Cenott

I was renting a house in CT.

My landlords son called me and said he needed a place to live so I would have to move.

I didn't have a lease so I started looking for a new place. Having 2 dogs I new it wasn't going to be easy to fine a new rent. He told me this on
Dec 20 and he said he would like to be in by the end of March as that would be the closing on the house he was selling.

He told me that if I was out by Feb 1st he would give me a months rent back.

I was out by Jan 28 which was in plenty of time, I left the house 10 times cleaner than when I moved in.

When I got out I tried to reach him but he would not return my calls. This went on for a few weeks. I finally drove by the house and found
him moving in, I asked him for the money and he told me he couldn't afford to pay it to me.

Do I have any course of action seeing that nothing was in writing?

Thanks for any input.

Dom..

S

sadsackee

NOPE.....nothing you can do, Nothing in writing PLUS you only had a month to month lease they gave you 30 days which is what the law allowed,

Did you pay January's rent?

If you had a security deposit that have only 30 days to return it with any deductions itemized, after 30 days they are entitled to ZERO, and you can sue them in small claims court, ON March 1st.

Last edited:
D

Dominick Cenott

Thanks for the reply,

Even though it wasn't good news.

Yeah I paid Jan rent already, no hope huh.

Thanks anyway, I guess I'll write it off as a learning exprence.

Dom..

Cvillecpm

Why are you dealing with landlord's son? Why not the landlord? Your best recourse is to write to landlord/property owner, advise that you complied with son's request and that you expect him to refund you your deposit - then sue in Small Claims Court.

You can prove a verbal agreement by "completing" it. Son asked you to leave and you did....otherwise, why would you leave and he move in...?

D

Dominick Cenott

I guess their giving the house to their son. he was the one that made the offer to get out by feb, not the landlord.

Do you think I'd have a chance in small claims court?

Dom..

S

sadsackee

I would say no , since your rent was paid till the end of january, and you were given at least a 30 day notice to move, however it should have been in writing.

If you paid any kind of security deposit or gave tham a last months rent, that is yours and they must refund that or you can sue them in small claims court.

Now you see why a lease is VERY important in America.....

Just think if the landlord wanted to break your year's lease he would have had to pay you to move, and only if you wanted to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">