• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land of mobile home being sold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smudge 2000

Requesting info for a relative who is getting worried about rumours going around (but good reason to believe rumours are true). This is regarding a large mobile home park (700+ units) in Palm Beach County, FL. The tenants all own their mobile homes, but rent the lot from the management company. Word is that the park has been sold and that tenants will have to leave - probably be given 30 days notice. Since they own their homes, they can, of course, move their homes. However, this park, as many/most are in Florida, is a pretty permanent mobile home park and to move these homes would be financially impossible for the majority (99.9% most likely), as it would be for most of middle America (cost would probably be upwards of $7000 to have homes moved). Would like advice on two matters: (1) do they have any legal rights in such a matter? and (2)if they do not, and they cannot afford to move/have the homes moved, what would happen, in a legal sense?

D

djdj

Very unlikly anyone will have to move...and for what reason?..... what is the incentive? why would they think the land is more valuable empty. then with 700 permenant residents?

What is this another Jed Clampett story? they found oil under the mobile home park?

No since the new company is probably borrowing the money to buy the land EXPECT a lot big rent increase very soon........maybe 25 to 50% to pay off the interest on the money borrowed.

That would be the most likely outcome.

S

smudge 2000

Mobile home park bein sold

Area (of park) is in a large, rapidly developing residential and commercial area. The land would probably be much more valuable to a developer - commercial and/or looking to build condos/apartments - but that is not known and really doesn't matter. As to the questions: if they do receive notice to vacate the property, by Florida law, do they have any recourse, and, if not, what would the legal consequences be (that can be imposed on by the owners) if they (meaning any owner) cannot afford to have home moved from premises?

D

djdj

well i dont know but with 700 people kicking in $100-200 300 you would have over $100,000 to pay lawyers to get the best deal.

Maybe they will buy all the mobile homes, all pay all the movng expenses..

If they wont pay anything, well make up 700 flyers hand them to all the owners and call a meeting to raise cash for lawyers.

This is American you have the right of assembly and the right of protest, and the right to sue

S

smudge 2000

Mobile home park being sold

to djdj: you are absolutely of no help. I read many of your other replies to others and thought the same, but you were the only one listed in this area. I was asking serious questions and needed info re the existence of specific laws/regulations/etc. in this area and you did was babble on and on in some attempt to be humourous, I guess. Did you ever answer either of the questions I asked? Do you actually have any idea of what you're talking about, or any aspect of the law? It does not appear so. This was a waste of my time.

D

djdj

HEY HO BOY......

Im not the one who might be evcited.....your relative is

Sometime i give stupid advice because there is a lease, there are rules, have they notified anyone about anything yet?

It seems like you dont get it......if they try and screw everyone, you as an American have the right to protest and to sue.

BUT YOU NEED LOTS OF MONEY.....so start thinking about raising it.

and i am serious they wil raise the rent a lot to cover the interst paymnets, then maybe sell off some of the land, as the tenants move or are bought out..

But mass evcitions.....can you image the news coverage and the lawsuits on that stupid idea!

[Edited by djdj on 02-06-2001 at 11:09 PM]

S

smudge 2000

Since I was obviously not going to get any sound information from you, I did what I guess I knew I would have to do all along - go and find the information myself. It took a long time, since I'm not familiar with the Internet or Florida statues, but I found what I needed to have: the Florida laws and statues governing mobile home parks. And lo and behold, there are specific regulations and statutes addressing the exact questions I was asking! If you either (1) a lawyer or (2) knew anything about Florida law or could look it up, you would have found that there is no such thing as "30-day notice" - at least one year's notice must be given. During the first 90 days following that notice, home owners have the option to petition the "land use change" (as it's called). And then, if you keep going (and I still haven't gotten through it all), there are other regs addressing the landlord's obligations, etc. And, as you said in your reply, what in heaven's name's difference does it make to answering the inquiry that "I'm not the one being evicted, your relative is"?!! Does that color the facts? Once again, the old adage is true: you get what you pay for. I paid nothing; I got nothing. This is all rhetorical at this point, so no need to reply.

S

smudge 2000

I corrected statues to statutes, but apparently it didn't hold, didn't get saved, whatever - I don't misspell.

D

djdj

HEY smudge....I DID MY JOB......

I got you to start thinking about how to defend yourself by learning about the law, searching on how to find statutes, how to read them, how to interpret them.

AND guess what you just saved yourself maybe $500 in legal fees...and you are now confident you can find the answers yourself.....

When you have problems,with specifics... just ask,

You did a good job!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">