• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlady retaining $100 of security deposit for foggy shower door?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logan88

I live in California. My most recent landlady retained $100 of my $600 security deposit for the following reasons:

1. "The shower door was foggy" - I cleaned them up a bit, but apparently they weren't just what she wanted. I was only there a month and a half - it's not like a whole ton of scum built up. Shoot, I'd be willing to go back and clean them!
2. "The bathroom door doesn't shut" - it could not shut when I moved in.
3. I didn't give her 30 days notice (I told her almost 3 weeks in advance though). When I did tell her I would be moving out the next month, I asked her if this would be "OK," and she said, "Yes." She also signed a document AFTER I TOLD HER I WAS LEAVING IN 3 WEEKS stating that she would return the security deposit of $600 to me on October 12th (she's late-today's the 20th).

Nothing was in our agreement about notice or deposit retention.

JETX

"The shower door was foggy" - I cleaned them up a bit, but apparently they weren't just what she wanted. I was only there a month and a half - it's not like a whole ton of scum built up. Shoot, I'd be willing to go back and clean them!
A court probably would NOT allow her to deduct that from a deposit.

2. "The bathroom door doesn't shut" - it could not shut when I moved in.
No problem. Simply show her (and the court) your WRITTEN move-in condition report showing that.

3. I didn't give her 30 days notice (I told her almost 3 weeks in advance though). When I did tell her I would be moving out the next month, I asked her if this would be "OK," and she said, "Yes." She also signed a document AFTER I TOLD HER I WAS LEAVING IN 3 WEEKS stating that she would return the security deposit of $600 to me on October 12th (she's late-today's the 20th).
Depending on the specifics of the SIGNED agreement.... sounds like you might have been VERY lucky. Your 'verbal' notice is not sufficient and could have resulted in your being charged a FULL month rent (at least).

Next step... send her a very NICE, POLITE WRITTEN request for a refund of the questionable items.... and advise her that she has 10 days. If no response by the 14th day (allows for mail), then your next step should be to court... if you really think it is worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">