• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlady's husband is trying to evict me, not her.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buddypal

New York

My Landlady's husband is trying to evict me. They have not claimed the apartment I am renting on their taxes (or on the landlady's taxes) for the past 13 years. I have lived here only 14 months, verbal lease. After 1 year asking them to fix 11 leaks in the ceiling (I was pretty patient and it was not free flowing water when it rained) they told me they don't want to deal with the roof anymore. There was only a professional here once just this last October and they did not call him back since. The pro told me to tell the landlady if there were still problems when it rained again and they would then call him to come back. They did not call him back after I told them that there were still 9 leaks. The landlady's husband had been trying to fix it prior but he was pretty lazy about it. I didn't give them a hard time until September. I wasn't rude. I told them I would have to go to the Board of Health since they (landlady and her husband) took pictures, said they were calling their house insurance, etc. They wouldn't even put a tarp above me even though they said they would in the meantime. This is too long already so I'll leave out all the other details and the many excuses they gave me for it not being fixed yet. Bascially, I filed a complaint with the Board of Health. After they were informed by the inspector, sure enough, I was handed a notice for 30 days to leave because the husband (stated) they wanted to just take back the premises. It is him I am meeting in court and not my landlady. I'm not late with rent or anything. (I know this may be frowned upon in court by a judge but I did tape record a couple of conversations between me and my landlady because I knew why they were really asking me to leave.) Sorry I just didn't ask this sooner**************....The letter states my landlady's HUSBAND as the landlord although he has told me repeatedly that he is not my landlord. WILL THIS HOLD UP IN COURT? Yes, they are married but my landlady's husband does not own the house. The landlady is definitely the owner of the house. She has told me that several times and has also told me that under no circumstances should I tell anyone that I rent an apt. here from her. She said to tell people that I simply live here with her. I already gathered that this must be an illegal apartment. Since they are indeed married, can my landlady's husband get away with saying that he is the landlord?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">