• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Allowed To Evict You If You Don't Pay Exactly On First Of Month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SUNNYGAL41

Hi, I Live In The State Of Ct, In A Large Apartment Complex. At The Last Lease Renewal (one Year) I Was Given An Addendum To The Contract That Stated That The Rent Was Due And Payable On The First Of The Month, And That Any Tenant Not Paying On The First Would Be Considered Late On The Second And They (landlords) Could Start Eviction Proceedings. Now, I Have Lived There For Ten Years, And Have Always Paid On Or Before The Tenth Of The Month. I Have Never Been Late With My Rent (after The Tenth). Is The Landlord Entitled To Evict Despite The Law Of The State Saying I Have Ten Days Before Being Considered Late?

Thank You In Advance,

Terri

south

1 second past the date due you are late... unless you think your new rent due date is the 10th and not the 1st...

This is why I do not believe in grace periods because grace periods become new due dates to tenants....

SUNNYGAL41 said:
Hi, I Live In The State Of Ct, In A Large Apartment Complex. At The Last Lease Renewal (one Year) I Was Given An Addendum To The Contract That Stated That The Rent Was Due And Payable On The First Of The Month, And That Any Tenant Not Paying On The First Would Be Considered Late On The Second And They (landlords) Could Start Eviction Proceedings. Now, I Have Lived There For Ten Years, And Have Always Paid On Or Before The Tenth Of The Month. I Have Never Been Late With My Rent (after The Tenth). Is The Landlord Entitled To Evict Despite The Law Of The State Saying I Have Ten Days Before Being Considered Late?

Thank You In Advance,

Terri

treese

Connecticut state law, which your LL MUST follow, allows rent to be paid within nine days of the due date - without any penalties or late fees.

Yes, CT state law gives tenants a grace period.

The LL cannot legally serve you with a Notice to Quit (due to non-payment) until the 11th of the month - if rent is due on the first.

These clauses are contrary to state law and are unenforceable.

Last edited:

Who's Liable?

The LL will most likely try to enforce his own clause, and pretty much tell you that you are in the wrong... Therefore you need to be prepared to fight and not give up... Don't be surprised if you pay rent late that you will be served an eviction notice...

treese

south said:
Grace periods suck...that is all I have to say
I agree, as I am a landlord in CT and tenants know that there is not much that can be done until the 11th. However, it is the law.

I rent month to month only. If a tenant uses the grace period continually, I give them a no cause 30 day notice and then evict.

Just Blue

SUNNYGAL41 said:

Thank You In Advance,

Terri

I am not going to offer legal advice, as you have received very good advice from other posters...but I have to ask...Why do you type this way? :eek: Isn't it harder to type with every first letter of every word in Caps? I know it makes it harder to read...And I really do want to know....this is something I have seen a lot in posts and just can't understand the point... :confused:

bay

south

Well spotted I would bet this poster is taking some sort of pill looks like a compulsive disorder would any other Dr's concur?

baystategirl said:
I am not going to offer legal advice, as you have received very good advice from other posters...but I have to ask...Why do you type this way? :eek: Isn't it harder to type with every first letter of every word in Caps? I know it makes it harder to read...And I really do want to know....this is something I have seen a lot in posts and just can't understand the point... :confused:

bay

Just Blue

south said:
Well spotted I would bet this poster is taking some sort of pill looks like a compulsive disorder would any other Dr's concur?

Would the pill the poster is taking be in a CAPsule?? :p HAHA! Get it????????? :D :D :D

SUNNYGAL41

No disrespect to landlords or the law meant.........

First of all, thank you for all the feedback. Second of all, I learned a looooonnnnggg time ago not to judge another's circumstances, unless I am in full possession of the facts, or have walked in their shoes.

Peace,

Terri

SUNNYGAL41

For Baystate

LOL! Cute! Actually, the reason the post turned out that way was it was originally done in caps, and I was too lazy to change it after typing it, so, when I posted it, the forum program changed it to what you see.......

:p

south

Huhh??? Asking a question here about your circumstance is asking us to judge you and your situation you are in...

SUNNYGAL41 said:
Second of all, I learned a looooonnnnggg time ago not to judge another's circumstances, unless I am in full possession of the facts, or have walked in their shoes.

Peace,

Terri

HomeGuru

SUNNYGAL41 said:
First of all, thank you for all the feedback. Second of all, I learned a looooonnnnggg time ago not to judge another's circumstances, unless I am in full possession of the facts, or have walked in their shoes.

Peace,

Terri

**A: since when does the forum software do that? THIS IS A TEST TO SEE IF THE SOFTWARE CHANGES ALL CAPS TO ONLY CAPS OF THE FIRST LETTER OF EACH WORD.

HomeGuru

SUNNYGAL41 said:
LOL! Cute! Actually, the reason the post turned out that way was it was originally done in caps, and I was too lazy to change it after typing it, so, when I posted it, the forum program changed it to what you see.......

:p

**A: TEST TEST FORUM WHY ARE YOU NOT CHANGING THIS?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">