• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Asking Extra Deposit for International

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

husin2156

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I think my landlord is actively trying to discourage international tenants.

Some back story: I've been living in the States for a little while. I spent 5 years living in Wisconsin. During this time, I live in various apartments under different companies. It's not because of any problem, but I just like new neighbourhood (and sometimes better rent). This is quite normal there. During this 5 years, I think I've been a good tenant: I pay my rent on time (direct deposit mostly) and sometimes pay in advance, no complaints, never given any notice, etc. Except for my first apartment, no one ever asked me about national origin and never had mine affected any decision.

About a month ago, I moved to Missouri for a new job. My employer is a local state university. I have a fine income and good credit score, all of which I submitted to my landlord. I moved in quite a hurry, because I just secured my apartment about a week before I moved in, so we signed the lease at the same time I moved in. In our email correspondence before, my landlord (a Chinese couple) wrote that my deposit is $200, which is great. When I came to their office, she announced that my deposit is $700, because I'm 'international'. I'm not happy, but I'm really tired and must show up for work on Monday, so I signed anyway. I have a receipt for my deposit. This slipped off my mind for a while.

Now, my friend, who is a green card holder, wants to join me in the unit (so we'll share a room). He doesn't have rental history, because he used to live in parents' and relatives' house. The landlord tried to pull the same trick with him again. Moreover, she tried to make him get a co-signer.

I have 2 questions:
First, is it a reasonable (assuming it's actually legal) to ask more deposit from me, after deciding I am 'international'? Is it a different treatment based on national origin? Can I actually ask the money back now?
Second, is it actually reasonable to ask my friend to do the same? Co-signer is may be necessary, but isn't he going to live with me and I already paid the deposit on the apartment?

It's not really the money here, but rather for them specifically adding this custom policy for us.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I think my landlord is actively trying to discourage international tenants.

Some back story: I've been living in the States for a little while. I spent 5 years living in Wisconsin. During this time, I live in various apartments under different companies. It's not because of any problem, but I just like new neighbourhood (and sometimes better rent). This is quite normal there. During this 5 years, I think I've been a good tenant: I pay my rent on time (direct deposit mostly) and sometimes pay in advance, no complaints, never given any notice, etc. Except for my first apartment, no one ever asked me about national origin and never had mine affected any decision.

About a month ago, I moved to Missouri for a new job. My employer is a local state university. I have a fine income and good credit score, all of which I submitted to my landlord. I moved in quite a hurry, because I just secured my apartment about a week before I moved in, so we signed the lease at the same time I moved in. In our email correspondence before, my landlord (a Chinese couple) wrote that my deposit is $200, which is great. When I came to their office, she announced that my deposit is $700, because I'm 'international'. I'm not happy, but I'm really tired and must show up for work on Monday, so I signed anyway. I have a receipt for my deposit. This slipped off my mind for a while.

Now, my friend, who is a green card holder, wants to join me in the unit (so we'll share a room). He doesn't have rental history, because he used to live in parents' and relatives' house. The landlord tried to pull the same trick with him again. Moreover, she tried to make him get a co-signer.

I have 2 questions:
First, is it a reasonable (assuming it's actually legal) to ask more deposit from me, after deciding I am 'international'? Is it a different treatment based on national origin? Can I actually ask the money back now?
Second, is it actually reasonable to ask my friend to do the same? Co-signer is may be necessary, but isn't he going to live with me and I already paid the deposit on the apartment?

It's not really the money here, but rather for them specifically adding this custom policy for us.
What I think is going on is that your landlord has rented to foreign students or instructors in the past. Ones who do not stay in the US for the long term, and has maybe gotten stiffed on rent or damages because the student or instructor returns overseas and is uncollectable. Its possible that is illegal discrimination, but I am not certain.

Gail in Georgia

" Second, is it actually reasonable to ask my friend to do the same? Co-signer is may be necessary, but isn't he going to live with me and I already paid the deposit on the apartment? "

Rethink your concern over this. If your friend doesn't pay a security deposit and does damage to the place, the cost of repairs comes out of YOUR deposit. Do you want that?

Gail

husin2156

" Second, is it actually reasonable to ask my friend to do the same? Co-signer is may be necessary, but isn't he going to live with me and I already paid the deposit on the apartment? "

Rethink your concern over this. If your friend doesn't pay a security deposit and does damage to the place, the cost of repairs comes out of YOUR deposit. Do you want that?

Gail
Yeah, I know. It's always possible, but I thought deposit applies for the apartment, not the tenant. I'm already asked almost 2 months rent (maximum legal limit) for deposit, so how much more can she ask? And surely, asking another $700 for someone who's here almost all his life is a little excessive (in relation to my short 5 years)?

Gail in Georgia

Yes; Missouri does limit the security deposit to not more than two months worth of rent. Although I have no idea why someone who has been around for almost all of his life is a guarantee they won't damage the rental unit leaving you hanging to pay this damage from your deposit?

Gail

husin2156

Yes; Missouri does limit the security deposit to not more than two months worth of rent. Although I have no idea why someone who has been around for almost all of his life is a guarantee they won't damage the rental unit leaving you hanging to pay this damage from your deposit?

Gail
I guess you're right, although I have to say he has about the same qualification with me (income etc.).

On the other hand, it's correct to say that deposit applies to the apartment, but not the tenant right? (I remembered being told this by some consultant before, but I can't find documentation for this)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">