• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord backpedaling on promise to add roommate to lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alaris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I rented my house two months ago. When I signed the lease, I told the landlord that I wanted to have a roommate but did not know who it would be yet. They said that would be alright but they wanted to add the person to the lease.

After two weeks I found the person who I want to be my roommate and told him he could stay with me and bring some of his things over (some clothes, a mattress, chair) until we finalized the lease agreement.

The landlord now tells me that they do not want to add him to the lease because "we park too many cars out front" and because they "thought I would be talking about doing it in a few months."

My lease allows 2 overnight guests, no time limit on their stay, and up to 12 people at one time to be present, without permission from the landlord. There is no provision regarding cars parked in front (actually no provision about cars at all except that they can't be parked on the lawn) and the cars have all been legally parked on a street or in the driveway (I have two spots out of 4 available and have not used more than that).

I have several close relatives who are lawyers who I have briefly discussed the issue with who have said that because the lease does not restrict overnight guests or parking, even if they do not allow me to add my roommate to the lease I am probably alright. I don't want to get into a legal argument with my landlord but they misled me and I told this guy he was going to be able to live here. Before I sit down with and impose on my lawyer relatives and really try to address this in a serious legal manner, does anyone have experience or thoughts on the issue?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think that any "reasonable" person would view a "guest" as NOT being someone who actually LIVES at your residence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">