• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord being sued, filing for Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nipkow

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

My landlord is being sued and he is filing for Bankruptcy. The property I rent from him will not be included in the bankruptcy. I make my rent payments directly to the bank (not the bank suing him). He assures me that the loan I am paying is current. Am I still in danger of losing the house?

Cvillecpm

Apples and oranges * if the property is in FORECLOSURE, you have options to pay the bank and stay for the balance of your lease OR 90 days

if the owner is filing BANKRUPTCY, your lease survives and you may get a notice from the BK trustee as to who to pay....you should get CLEAR as to which event is taking place

Nipkow

He is filing personal Bankruptcy to protect his home from the pending lawsuit.
He says as long as I continue to pay the bank I am safe. He has never said anything about Foreclosure.

Cvillecpm

The bank is suing for foreclosure....your lease will survive it or you will have 90 days from the date the bank retakes title

Nipkow

Will I have the opportunity to buy the house from the bank without moving out? My 2 year lease is up at the end of the month. The contract says I have the option to buy at the end of the lease or continue to rent month to month. My credit is not good enough to buy right now. Can I sign a new lease before he officially files for Bankruptcy?

ecmst12

There is no foreclosure and you can ignore Cville. If the mortgage on the house you are living in is up to date (and you know it is because you're paying it), and the property isn't being included in the BK, then you should not be affected by his BK at all. HOWEVER, if you gave him a security deposit, you can bet he spent it and you won't ever see it again.

Nipkow

There was no security deposit. I just hope he's telling me the truth. I dont know for a fact yet that he wasnt behind on paying the bank before I took over making the payments directly.

Cvillecpm

I suspect OP is making rent payments INTO the owner's bank account rather than to the actual mortgage company.

If owner is selling the property on an installment/land contract, those payments will be wiped out in the BK by the trustee and the property in the owner's name/title will be used used to pay creditors of the owners.

If the property is in the owner's name and owner declares BK, the trustee rules the ownership/equity in the property NOT the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">