• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord being sued for unpaid property taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

So my landlord is being sued by the county for 2008 and 2009 property taxes for the house I rent from him. His court date is in a couple of weeks and there is no chance he will be able to come up with the money he owes. He's also got the house on the market and it's at risk of being foreclosed on, although he says he'll file bankruptcy before that happens. (I don't think the foreclosure and sale are relevant to the situation, but I thought I'd include them just in case.)

So I assume this means that the county will sell the house at auction? Can anyone tell me what this means for me? Or how long it will take before I have to leave the house? I know if the house is foreclosed then I'll have at least 90 days to get out, but how would the tax lein affect that, if at all? I'm a month-to-month tenant, if that makes a difference.

Gail in Georgia

Contact your tax assessors office and ask this question.

In my county a new owner who has purchased a unit on a property tax auction can do nothing to the property for a least a year. The previous owner has that amount of time to come up with what the new owner paid for the property (plus a bit extra) and repurchase it. It's not unusual that a tenant remains in the property for that year period, not paying rent (but also not having anyone they can contact regarding repair issues).

Gail

acmb05

Contact your tax assessors office and ask this question.

In my county a new owner who has purchased a unit on a property tax auction can do nothing to the property for a least a year. The previous owner has that amount of time to come up with what the new owner paid for the property (plus a bit extra) and repurchase it. It's not unusual that a tenant remains in the property for that year period, not paying rent (but also not having anyone they can contact regarding repair issues).

Gail
This is not how a tax deed works.

When you purchase a tax deed you are buying nothing but the right to collect the unpaid taxes on the home. The owner still owns it, collects rent from it if he has it rented, and has all the other rights that he had before the tax sale. If after a set period of time the owner has not paid the taxes off plus interest the buyer of the tax deed can take it to court and take ownership of the property.

Buyers of tax deeds are not in the business to own the home's they are in the business of collecting interest on the "loan " to the landlord for paying his taxes for him. I have bought many a tax lien on homes in Ga. all over the state. a tax lien is not considered purchasing the home until a court says it is. Sure I may have to wait 6 months sometimes to get paid but I never have any kind of rights to the house during that time.

When a tax lien is bought it does not effect the renter paying his rent at all and if they don't pay the owner can and will evict.

Last edited:
When a tax lien is bought it does not effect the renter paying his rent at all and if they don't pay the owner can and will evict.
But the bottom line, then, is that as long as I continue to pay my rent, etc., then I'm fine for a while, right? That's my main concern.

Do you know if the potential foreclosure/property sale (house has been on the market for about 3 months) have any effect on the tax issue for me? I assume they make a difference to the property owner, but I'm being selfish and thinking only concerned about myself here ;)

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. I've been really, really happy in my current living situation and would prefer to stay for many more years, which is why I panic when something happens that makes me afraid I may have to move.

acmb05

But the bottom line, then, is that as long as I continue to pay my rent, etc., then I'm fine for a while, right? That's my main concern.

Do you know if the potential foreclosure/property sale (house has been on the market for about 3 months) have any effect on the tax issue for me? I assume they make a difference to the property owner, but I'm being selfish and thinking only concerned about myself here ;)

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice. I've been really, really happy in my current living situation and would prefer to stay for many more years, which is why I panic when something happens that makes me afraid I may have to move.
If the house is foreclosed on then be prepared to vacate soon after. If it goes back to the bank they may offer you a small amount of money to move so they don't have to go through the cost and time of an eviction.

If it goes back to the bank or is sold at foreclosure auction whoever takes over will be responsible for the taxes.

If the bank does foreclose just write a nice letter or call the contact person and ask if there is any way you can purchase it. Or you can always go to the auction and bid on it yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">