• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Breaking Lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ramma57

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I signed a 6 month lease to rent a home on 5/15/05. I received a notice on July 15th that my landlord is listing my property and wants a walk through. They have given the appropriate notice to come in to inspect the property. If I had known that I would only be here a couple of months I wouldn't have taken this house. :eek: If the home sells prior to my lease expiration what are my rights? I will be relying on my security deposit to get into another new place are they liable for any of my moving costs by breaking the lease? In reading my lease, there is NO provision for what happens if the landlord breaks it.

Separate issue: Landlord put in lease that I am REQUIRED to have carpets professionally cleaned upon moving. Do I still have to do that if they break the lease? Thanks so much for any help.

south

You cannot break your lease with out owner’s permission; the landlord and new buyer are stuck with you until your lease expires if you do not wish to move.

ramma57 said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

I signed a 6 month lease to rent a home on 5/15/05. I received a notice on July 15th that my landlord is listing my property and wants a walk through. They have given the appropriate notice to come in to inspect the property. If I had known that I would only be here a couple of months I wouldn't have taken this house. :eek: If the home sells prior to my lease expiration what are my rights? I will be relying on my security deposit to get into another new place are they liable for any of my moving costs by breaking the lease? In reading my lease, there is NO provision for what happens if the landlord breaks it.

Separate issue: Landlord put in lease that I am REQUIRED to have carpets professionally cleaned upon moving. Do I still have to do that if they break the lease? Thanks so much for any help.

fairlight

So you're renting a house that is going to be sold to someone who plans to live in it rather than rent it out themselves?

It's the landlord's property, and so he probably can do what he wishes with it. I doubt he would have to reimburse you for moving costs.

Could you talk to him? Maybe work out some kind of accommodation (which you'll get in writing?).

south

The landlord cannot break the lease unless he wants to pay the tenant of or the tenant states ok..

fairlight said:
So you're renting a house that is going to be sold to someone who plans to live in it rather than rent it out themselves?

It's the landlord's property, and so he probably can do what he wishes with it. I doubt he would have to reimburse you for moving costs.

Could you talk to him? Maybe work out some kind of accommodation (which you'll get in writing?).

ramma57

Landlord terminating lease

I apologize, I was asking for a friend's daughter and didn't have all the facts. The lease was between the daughter and her boyfriend. The daughter asked the boyfriend to move out, issues between them. Boyfriend moved out, daughter's sister would like to move in. This now effectively breaks the lease does it not? Lease states daughter needs to notify if anyone else moves in. Sorry for any confusion. I guess bottom line question: If daughter then agrees to move due to property selling, she will NOT be required to pay out term of lease??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">