• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord brocken promise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rickru

San Antonio, Texas
I rented an apartment for the month of april.
landlord promised my preferred apartment would
be available by the 1st of april.
i signed the lease. when april 1st came along,
landlord said it wont be available till the
13th of april.
can i break my lease? or perhaps
get a free month out of it?

rickru

M

mary hartman

VERY unlikely, since the landlord did give you an apartment to live in the the other one was ready....Its not like you had no where to live, or was in a hotel.

I would think of asking for at least a half a months rent off, because you do have to move your stuff again, and did you pay and installation or service connection fees,gas electric phone etc...? the landlord should pay in case you had to pay double charges.

L

LL

What does your lease say? Does it say you are leasing a specific apartment? What do you mean by "preferred" apartment? Did you actually move into some apartment based on this lease?

Your idea that you can get something out of this is a bad attitude. You need to learn if you are entitled to reimbursement for any real expenses because of a breach of your contract, but thats all. There is no free lunch, and no free month, either.

R

rickru

lanlord brocken promise

I rented this apartment when the lanlord said
the tenants, now living in it, would move out by
the first of april. So i signed the lease. I called
on the 1st of april to see if i could start moving in,
but the lanlord said it wont be ready till the 13th
of april. I dont understand why i cant break my lease
and look elsewhere when im not actually living in
my rented apartment.

R

rickru

i was not given a copy of my lease.
only a reciept of my payment.
this was done around march 20.
the landlord said she would call
me when the apartment would be ready
for me to move in.

L

LL

dj can tell you how dumb you are to have signed a lease without getting a copy of it.

That's about the only thing he is good at.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">