• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Broken Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N0R7H

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Earlier today my landlord shut off the complex's water but only notified half the tenants, I'm pretty sure in California this constitutes a broken lease, not being given 24 hour notice and all. Shenanigans issued but they eventually realized their fault. Short story the water would be fixed by 4, and again not the issue. The problem is it is now 6pm and i still have low water pressure and no heat. To my understanding they have to provide a certain standard of living based on the lease and if they cant provide it they must provide me with a substitute but equal living arrangements or my money back. So what do i do, they have now broken California law if i read the renter's hand book correctly. I'm a university students so they don't seem to care, i would like to have the correct info so i can have my mind loaded when i go in tomorrow to clearly fight this out.

Thank you for your time.

justalayman

They are not required to notify you in an emergency situation so to start with, why did they need to shut off the water?

Then, you do have water now, right? I don't think there is a requirement it be of some specific pressure but to further this, why is it low?

Why is there no heat?

And no, none of that is adequate to argue the lease has been broken, especially since you don't have an explanation as to why any of it is the way it is;

Since you have the handbook right there check on the requirement of a tenant giving written notice to the lanlord of an issue.

And what is the outside temp expected to be tonight?

N0R7H

It was not an emergency situation they notified all other tenets of repairs being done 24 hours before except for my wing for some reason. The water has been a constant problem here, i think the main has broken twice(clearly an emergency i get that). I have a little bit of water pressure but not no hot water. I still don't know why we don't have hot water or pressure if the system got repaired today.

justalayman

You said nothing about the outside temp tonight so I will presume it is not an issue.

as such, nothing qualifies as the landlord having broken the lease. You do have water. Hot water, while required, does not make the home uninhabitable if you don't have it and unless heat is actually required, neither would the lack of heat.

a landlord is given time to repair issues. You don't get to consider every issue a breach of the lease. Life happens and the law allows for that.

STEPHAN

I am sure it was a mistake that the LL did not notify your wing. Have you ever made a mistake?

However I would be happy that the LL is working on the water. Most people complain about LLs NOT taking care of things, your LL does, so be happy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">