• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord cancelled lease?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thezom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
This happened in the state of NH.
My (now) ex-girlfriend and I rented a house and the lease was signed December 1st, 2013. When the lease was written up, both of our names were on it, but there was only one spot for the tenant to sign, so i signed it and she did not. We ran into an issue after about four months into the lease when a bank transfer that she made from her account to mine (She uses a prepaid debit card as a bank account, i use a checking/savings account through my credit union) for rent was supposed to take 24 to 48 hours according to her, yet ended up taking 10 days, consequently causing not only our rent check to bounce, but also caused a chain reaction that resulted in over $700 in fees, and put us behind on rent. At this point, handling financial affairs for the household went from my hands to hers. We had explained the situation to our landlord, and it took us about two months to get caught up. After that, she dealt with the landlord herself, and I was kind of cut out of the loop. (I wouldn't dare make presumptions, but suffice it to say, a LOT of bills did not get paid when she took over the money)
Around the first of October, I discovered she was being unfaithful to me, so it was immediately escalated into a situation where one of us needed to go. Once again, she dealt with the landlord before i had a chance to talk to him, and came back to me mid-October telling me that she had signed a new lease with him, and that I needed to move out. At this point, I was done arguing- the stress on myself, my kids, and her daughter was too much and it was just easier to pack up and go and leave her in the house, since she claimed to have had a new lease anyways.
So i guess what my question really is, is was it legal for him to make a new lease when I was in good standing, was not behind and was under no type of process to demand that I leave the premises from him? And what about my half of the security deposit? Would this be something I had to chase after her for, or would I go after him?

STEPHAN

Basically you would have to agree to be taken off the lease.

The deposit can be paid back to both, I assume technically it was paid to her and reused, so you would have to go after her.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Yes she is the one who you would have to sue in small claims court for your share of the deposit and no it was not binding for the LL to just take you off the lease but since LL claims to have done so I suggest you send to the LL a SASE and include a short letter for him to sign that says you were released from your obligation for the lease you had signed with him for address ( that rentals address) his signature. Otherwise you know theres a chance she has lied to you and your still on the orig lease so it may be a good time to get your self to post office friday and send to the LL a short letter ( since we are near the anniversary date of the lease I signed with you I want to make it crystal clear I have not resided there at ( addy ) since (date) and wish to make it clear I am not interested in a renewal. sign and send it at the very least with mail tracking or next step up certified mail)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">