• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord changed rental property...What can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orange83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I have lived in the same apartment for over 3 years and have had the same parking spot in the 26 (or so) car garage. I live in a very prime area where parking is extremely important and it's a big reason for why the rent is so high.

I re-signed the lease last fall, and several weeks ago the landlord had the garage re-striped. Everyone's parking spots remained the same except mine, which they turned into 2 spots. It is in the corner of the garage and is situated such that my driver's side door is against the wall. Now that my spot has been turned into 2 spots, I have a ridiculous time trying to get in and out of my car, not to mention getting dirt from the wall and the car all over my work suit. One of the people from the management office called the other day and had me come down to the garage, saying I needed to pull even closer to the wall. I showed him how this was beyond unreasonable and how I couldn't get in or out of my car but he sarcastically told me to just climb over the passenger seat and made a lewd joke involving the parking break and my back side (not the term he used).

Everyone I've told about this has said that the landlord can't do this to me and that changing the rental property unexpectedly in such a way after I've signed the lease (and not to mention having had the apartment and parking spot for 3+ years) nullifies the lease. I was going to move anyway in the fall when the lease was up but this has become such a nuisance. Considering they won't do anything to rectify the situation, I need to know what I can do to leave.

Can anyone please tell me what steps I must take to properly move and follow the rules?

Thank you kindly for your time.

-O

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

Back into the stall so that the drivers side shares the space the adjacent stall.

If you have a larger car, ask to switch with another resident with a smaller car or one that does not move their car as often as you.

Challenges and opportunities!~!

ecmst12

While you certainly have cause to complain, this does not even come close to nullifying your lease. If you are not able to come to a mutually acceptable solution with your landlord, then you can give notice and move when your lease is up.

orange83

I certainly appreciate your time in responding to my issue.

Unfortunately I can't back in, there is another row of cars on the other side. I don't even have a large car (4 door sedan).

However I am confused as to why I have no "merit" here. The parking in this neighborhood is a luxury that we pay a high price for.

In fact, the building has more units than parking spaces, so there is a waiting list (I had to wait 3 months to get mine). But due to how much this company is charging for rent and the importance of reserved parking in a part of Los Angeles where there isn't any on the streets, people now say "FORGET IT!" to this nonsense...which is exactly why the landlord company did this to my parking spot, to entice another person who said she refused to take an apartment if the parking was not immediately included.

If any of you have ever lived in Los Angeles, you know that commuting to and from work is a huge part of our lives. Also, you know the importance of personal appearance in the workplace, this area especially, and it's unacceptable for a business professional like myself to have my suit crumpled and dirtied on the way to work. I would have never re-signed the lease if these were the conditions put forth. What they are doing is unethical and un-American. Simply telling me I am screwed and have no recourse for another 7 months until the lease is up makes zero sense. If someone showed you an apartment that was 900 square feet, then you signed the lease, and then months later you come home to find they're knocking out a wall to make it 500 square feet, would that be acceptable? I do not think I am being unreasonable.

But I still don't know what to do.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

I disagree....In SF, women ride BART and walk up hills to their offices in sneakers and stockings and THEN change their shoes.

Move at the end of your lease or use a dry cleaner that delivers.....

You have a very good case. You should hire an attorney to send them a letter. If that does not work, take them to court. You would be looking at $500 to $1000 in attorneys fees and you can include this in the suit unless the lease states otherwise. $5 says they roll over when they get the first letter. Play some poker and don't show your hand. Let me know how it goes.

Don't let people walk on you. It only rewards them for bad behavior. On the other hand, you have to pick your battles. This is one you should and can win.

FarmerJ

Has your city zoning dept any regulation of what a minimum size parking space is when a LL has on site parking ? This may be your answer only if your city has gone as far as writting some kind of definitions for parking spot sizes in rental. Other wise feel free to speak to a real estate atty, there really might not be much you can do other than refuse to pay for the space and park elsewhere. If you do that make sure that you back it up via letter sent with your complaint via confirmed mail delivery and have some one take pics of you trying to get in and out of the car so you have it for your record as well as using tape measure in pics to show how far the door should open and how far it opens when parked there first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">