• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord changes month to month to lease and rent increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
My husband and I have been living in our rental property for 5 years on a month to month lease. We had an agreement with landlord to pay a specific amount and my husband would do repairs. We had to clean out the house when we moved in. My husband who is a carpenter, put in all new electrical outlets, light fixtures, new kitchen floor, fixed the garbage disposal, ice maker in refrigerator and put in new shelving, put in new element in stove, the deck in the back fell in (with my husband sitting on it) he built a new deck and put on a new front porch. Had to patch leaks in the roof and fix ceiling inside from leaks etc. Unfortunate the landlord fell sick and died last month. Since he was sick we contacted and paid our rent to his son. Now his son knew of our arrangement with his father because he lived right across the street. He has hired a management company. We have to sign a year lease and pay 200 more dollars in rent. What rights do we have if any. Don't want to sign new lease or pay more rent. How long do we have to move? What kind of arrangement can we make with the management company? What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Cvillecpm

You have 30 days to move or agree to the change....whether you sign new lease or not, if you stay, you are under the new terms of the mgmt co

Hot Topic

The son and management company hold all the cards. If you decide you're going to stay but refuse to sign a lease or pay the additional rent, they can evict you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">