• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Charging me after Final Account Statement Issued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mills9910

What is the name of your state? PA

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on my current situation. I bought a house and the home builder paid for the last 2 month's rent for me (sent check directly to the landlord). There was a considerable amount of money left over so it was credited to my account with the landlord.

I received a my "Final account statement" from the landlord that lists the charges against me (such as painting, missing item, but nothing about carpets..see below) then it has my Account balance with a refund going toward me. On the "Final account statement" paper it is signed by the manager and there is text that states "You apartment home has been inspected and any charges have been itemized for your review. You will be receiving the refund from our Corporate Office in the near future. Thank you for making 'Apartment Complex' your home. We hope that you enjoyed your stay and would consider living with us again." Then it is signed by the manager.

That account statement came first, then came the refund check a couple of days later. BUT, then two or so days after the refund check came the landlord called and said oh wait, the new tenant complained about the carpets and we have to charge around $1,000 to replace. This is AFTER they sent me the Final Account Statement, they also stopped payment on the check.

I am thinking I can dispute this and get my full refund instead of the refund minus the $1,000 because if they wanted to charge me for the carpet it should have been itemized in the final account statement and not just have the ability to call afterwards and say oh wait, there is something else wrong. If that is the case what is stopping them from doing that a couple of weeks later again... I thought the landlord should have been more careful in examining the carpets before signing off. They shouldn't have the opportunity to have a do-over.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks in Advance for any comments / advice.

Mills

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">