• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord claims we owe above and beyond security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

abused tenant

I recently moved out of a house (Sandy, Utah). My roomates and I (5 total) lived in the house for 18 months. I just recieved a ridiculous list from my landlord, claiming that they had to perform approximately $2600 worth of cleaning and repairing. Our security deposit was only $1000. Anyhow, my roomates and I spent over 2 days preparing the house, and we cleaned thoroughly. Some of the items on the list are as follows:

Kitchen: Cleaning cabinets inside and out - $145
Living Room: Cleaning windows - $86

There are several other ridiculous claims on the list that brings the total claimed damage to $2600. Where did these prices come from? I'm sure they cannot produce reciepts for any of this so called cleaning (that we already did!).

Basically, I was wondering what my next step should be. In reality, I believe we should be able to recoup some of our depsosit because I believe this list is very trumped up and I have neighbors that would vouch for us. But I'd be willing to let the deposit go to not deal with my landlord or waste time in court. Any reccomendations??

D

dj1

sue the landlord in small claims court for your deposit back....and make them prove by pictures or reciepts or cancelled checks they actually did spend the money.

If you had taken pictures before you left the apartment, you probably would nail their asss to the wall.

A

abused tenant

I know I should have, but I didn't take pictures. However, a neighbor came over and saw us cleaning and would probably be willing to testify. Yet, I'd rather just forfiet the rest of the deposit then deal with the hassle of going to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">