• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord cross complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAsh

What is the name of your state? Pa

Hello All, I would like to thank everyone in advane for any help.

I moved out of my last residence after about 9 months of occupancy. There was a bi-monthly lease with a $1600 security deposit. Upon moving out I went to My landlords house to give him our new address, but he was on vacation so I told his son in law to contact me when he returned. After 3 weeks without hearing from him I sent a certified letter with our new address and a request for the deposit or a list/estimate for repairs. After another 3 weeks, I proceeded to file a claim with the local court house. Now I have recieved a counter claim for $5000 for minor repairs.
- smoke detectors
-scratched door
-damaged wall
-broken window
-broken washer/dryer
-missing set of keys
Let me explain some of these; The damged wall is just dirt from going up and down the stairs, the broken window is a small old-fashion window maybe 8in x 8in
The washer and dryer are very old and we didn't even use them we had our own. and can he really charge me to change the locks becasue I didn't have all the keys even though he had his own set?
One more thing, His new tenants moved in the day after we moved out (while the landlord was on vacation) before the landlord could inspect the house. Does this have any relevance? What should I do before I go to court and does my landlord really have a case on me?

LindaP777

Sue him in small claims court. Based on the info you gave us, there's no way that totaled to $1600. ALSO, check with your states LL/Tenant laws. Your LL's failure to send you an itemized list of damages within 30 days, may allow you to sue for double or triple your secuirty deposit. I'm not familiar with PA laws, so others will be able to tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">