• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord deducting from security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GMan70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Recently, I moved out of a rental home, which my family had been leasing for the past 3 years. Our move out date was June 1st, 2015. On that day, we had a move-out inspection walkthrough with a representative of the property management company, in which we received a satisfactory move-out report. Also, we received a follow-up email, the next day, from the management company, commending us for being “good tenants”, providing a digital copy of the signed move-out report, and stating we’d receive our security deposit within 30 days, after the property owner reviews the report and pictures taken during the inspection. On June 29th, we received a letter from the management company, stating that $400 is being deducted from our deposit to cover the cost of a new refurbished washer and dryer set, due to the dryer, as stated, was missing the lint filter, full of dog hair, and the washer would not spin, so both were inoperable.

Sorry to be long winded, but I need to provide a back story. The property changed management after the first year of our lease, and a new lease agreement was drawn up, mirroring the original agreement, for the remaining two years, by the new management company. In the original lease and new lease, the washer and dryer were never itemized as assets belonging to the property. We were told that they were acquired as a result of abandonment by a previous tenant. We even have an email, where we had asked the original management company what we could do with them because we had our own washer and dryer, and were told that since they were abandoned by the previous tenant, they now belong to the property owner, and we could either store them in the garage or use them. At wanting to park in the garage, we decided to get rid of our personal set, and use the set that were on the property. The original move-in report has the washer and dryer listed, but no mention of their operational state, as nothing was checked on them, upon our initial move-in inspection, and as I had mentioned they are not listed on the lease as an asset of the property. So, if the dryer was to have a lint filter, it was never there when we moved in. Also, when the new management took over, no walkthrough inspection was ever performed at change management, so again nothing was noted about the washer and dryer. I can attest that both were in working condition at move-out, but again these items were not checked at the move-out inspection, and we even had to inform the rep that they belonged to the owner because a previous tenant had left them, when they had asked why we were leaving them behind.

We tried calling the management company to plea/dispute these charges, but were told that we should be grateful because the property owner wanted to buy a brand new set and they saved us money by buying a refurbished set. We asked for proof that the units were inoperable, to which they can’t provide. Also, we asked for proof of purchase on the new units, to which we have received nothing. If I understand correctly, in Georgia, the landlord has three days from the move-out inspection to further inspect the property and report any issues/damage to be covered by the tenant, and the tenant is to be given two days to try and rectify the issues themselves. Two weeks ago, two weeks after the move-out date, my wife had emailed the management company to ask for an ETA on the security deposit, and not only did she not receive any reply, but nothing was mentioned about the supposed “inoperable” washer and dryer then.

I have a feeling we might have to take this to court to get our full refund, so was just wondering if we would even have a case to try doing so, and or what advice is there to maybe avoid taking this to court. I just feel the landlord is not being fair in charging us for something he never purchased himself. Plus, I know that both units were in working order when we left the property.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

So, you operated the dryer without a lint filter for 3 years?

That was just plain stupid and dangerous.

And when you left, was there anything wrong with the washer?
Were you able to wash one last load in the washer before moving?

You, admittedly, used the properties appliances for 2-3 years.

FarmerJ

Even though those appliances were not listed on the lease it is fair of the LL to argue they became the LLs property but its too bad you did not just insist the LL come and get them way back when or to have sent the LL a certified letter pointing out that the unit was not rented to you with those two items included and you have your own to use and that the letter was notice to them to get rid of them. BUT I would suggest you wait till your states time frame for landlords to address deposits has passed, cease any further communication with them , no phone calls , and for Remulaks sake STOP USING EMAIL , only communicate with them via certified mail so you have a paper trail when you do. Now I gotta tell you when you decided to run that machine with out a lint trap that was not a wise choice since the machine didn't belong to you and if it didn't have one when you moved in it would have been reasonable of you to have sent the landlord written notice that it was missing. NOW as too brand new washer dryer , NO WAY and not even refurbished ones either if your going to sue in small claims then you want to name both the actual owner and the property management firm in your claim since you want them to show the court the depreciated value of the dryer or what the the cost of buying a filter screen would have been and since you said the washer was working then in court you would like them to show the court what was wrong with it. ( you could even begin to check around even with say used appliance stores to see what a used lint trap might sell for so you know when you get into court or a parts house might be able to tell you how much a new trap could be) .

GMan70

So, you operated the dryer without a lint filter for 3 years?

That was just plain stupid and dangerous.

And when you left, was there anything wrong with the washer?
Were you able to wash one last load in the washer before moving?

You, admittedly, used the properties appliances for 2-3 years.
Well, before you insult my intelligence again, let me add that the dryer had a built in lint filter, so no I didn't use a dryer that wasn't trapping lint, but yes I did use this washer/dryer set for the 2 - 3 yrs. Supposedly, it was missing the removable lint filter, to which it never had.

I do believe I mentioned that everything was operable, so yes we had just successfully washed and dried a few loads prior to moving.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, before you insult my intelligence again, let me add that the dryer had a built in lint filter, so no I didn't use a dryer that wasn't trapping lint...
Yes, you DID use a dryer that wasn't trapping lint.

Stephen1

The landlord (LL) provided you with a working washer and dryer. We contend they were working because you never contacted the LL and reported them as broken. At the end of your rental you returned a washer and dryer that the LL says is no longer working.

For tax purposes the LL should be depreciating those appliances. Assuming that having a non-working washer and dryer is beyond normal wear and tear then you would owe the value of those appliances after depreciation.

I took a quick glance at IRS publication 527 and it looks like appliances are depreciated over 5 years. Assuming I read that correctly then you would owe 2/5ths of the original value of the appliances when the LL received them. And just because some previous tenant dropped them on the current LL doesn't mean they had zero value when he received them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">