• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord destroyed property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

workdrivesleep

In kentucky.
This is long and rather embarassing. Thanks in advance for reading it. I felt the whole situation should be clear...
<snip>

My question is this. After i have cleared the apartment and the garage of my belongings and retreived the vehicle, should i bring a small claims suit against the landlord for destroying and giving away what i still believed to be my personal property?
The vehicles (if i cannot retreive the one i want) probably had a collective value of around $1000 and the items in the house cold be estimated at around $500.

The apartment my spouse's belongings were stored in, when it was suitable to be occupied, had rented for $250/mo and as i said before, the house rented for $300/mo.

If he decided to countersue - what would be his foundation?

Thank your reading all of this and for any input you can provide.

Last edited:

Cvillecpm

ABSOLUTELY NOT....Landlord could easily claim for all of your back rent PLUS.

Leave it alone and next time don't run a junk yard/care repair business out of a residential zoned property.

You were totally WRONG to allow the property to accummulate your junk and could have easily exposed the landlord to fines for your thoughtlessness.

Just because it took you time to accummulate your junk does not mean that the landlord has to give you time to remove it. It should have been removed and you should have returned possession to the landlord when you stopped paying rent - in December.

W

workdrivesleep

Yeah - thats kind of the position i thought i was in.

I'm just hoping to get out of this without getting sued myself.

Our verbal agreement over the phone - when he advised "i'm not going to ask you for any money" and that would have time to remove the remaining belongings - does this agreement hold any legal water?

Thanks for a great service.

M

marantz

Why is it all you Keentckeee folks aint gotz no money to actually rent an apartment and pay the rent in FULL each month? Is it something in the water?

Seriously you poor folks gotta lern dat you r dealin wid REDNECKS and the way a slumlord stays in business is to kep finding stupid tenants.

So come on man grow up......git da wifey workin so you can afford a real home.

W

workdrivesleep

On the contrary, Marantz -it is you that need to grow up.

Your comments were mean and uncalled for.

There are people like me everywhere and sadly - there are people like you everywhere too.

I

Iamsomebody

No its mostly rednecks, country folks who seem to want to beg borrow and then rip off the landlord, by trading rent for services.

But most of these folks are barely litterate, so the landlord will win.

So Why isnt your wife working?

W

workdrivesleep

My wife is a full time double major in business/ music in her last year of an undergrad.
I myself carry a BA - general studies with an emphasis on journalism/communications.

Iamsomebody - Perhaps you should learn how to spell the word 'literate'. Try this site : http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm

FWIW, all of this worked out. I was able to retrieve most of the items and am on good terms with the landlord.
He is clearing the property for sale anyway and did not incur any extra cost in removing the things i left behind.

The only mistake i made here was not clearing the property in a little more timely manner.

Members who have nothing to offer but mean-spirited attacks should learn to keep your comments to yourself. This forum is monitored...

Last edited:
M

mikeey mouse

You got very lucky on this one........

But it still stands..... that trading rent for services can get you royally screwed.

Marantz was trying to prepare you for what could have happened.

but you got very lucky This time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">