• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord didn't pay water bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himkom

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I live in an apartment complex, and two weeks ago we got notices on our doors from the water company stating the water was being turned off on the 20th for non-payment. I asked about that and the apartment manager said it was taken care of.

Today the water was shut off. The new office manager said she doesn't know anything, and the answering service left the message that the water would not be on today, and they have no idea when it would be back on.

I called the heath dept. and HUD, but neither can do anything. I have a baby, and I can't wash him or his bottles. Is there anything I can do?

FarmerJ

Your health dept wont do any thing BOVINE EXCREMENT ! go on over to your county zoning dept desk and insist on speaking to a supervisor , Bring with you a copy of your lease if you have one. Ask them to have some one come out and write a short term condemn order that no one can live in the building while the water is off.
Your LL you bet will act fast to get that water back on since a condemn order short term or long term means that there will be tenants either declaring leases they hold to be in breach and move out OR some will actually take the LL to court to have the court reduce the rental value of the unit, WATER is a essential service , it is not like a pipe broke , its off because of non payment. IF zoning wont do a thing then go on up the chain, go to your county board members or city council person and make a huge stink and dont forget to politely suggest that if they dont act to get your unit condemed short term then you will go to a local tv station that does consumer affairs and tell them who you have been to see and ask them for help to get this resolved. politicians do not like negative publicity especially since many might be on the ticket this fall its likely they will step in and get someone out there to write the order.

BL

I would go Farmer's route , but if your State's LL/tenant laws allow , tenants can get together , pay the bill , and deduct from the rent .

Is this complex Section 8 , or low cost housing ?

himkom

Thanks, everyone. It's hard not having running water (can't even flush the toilet)

This isn't low cost housing, but I'm not sure if they accept section 8 or not. They rent to a lot of illegal immigrants, so I can't understand why they want to draw attention to themselves. I'm at my wit's end because no one seems to be able to do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">