• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord entered property for repairs and paint caused damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pennrenter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Our landlord just notified us that he is selling the property. He will not be renewing our lease which is set to end 6/30/14. We learned about the sale only 10 days before we were scheduled to go away on vacation. Less than one week before we left, he, his wife and his realtor came to inspect the house for repairs, etc. They made a long list of repairs and painting that they wanted to do before putting the house on the market. They had planned to do that and have an open house the following weekend which was the first day that we would have been on vacation.

He emailed a list of items to repair and paint and asked if we could help him to get them done. He lives in Maryland. We said that we would help but would be out of town and unavailable. When i spoke with him and told him I did not feel comfortable with an open house while I was away, he agreed and said that he could wait until we got back.

He asked if we could leave the house keys for his realtor so that she could put a lock box on the door, which we did.

When we returned, we saw that there was not only a lock box on the door, but there was yard work done and painting that the landlord did of all of the ceilings. He also removed all of the cabinet doors in the kitchen and painted the frames of the cabinets.

While he was painting, he neglected to cover our new leather sectional. It now has little spots of white paint all over it! There are grayish wipe marks along the top that he obviously wiped but didn't realize that he didn't completely clean it off. The sofa is ruined.

While inside our home, he also broke a mask that we purchased years ago while on vacation in Mexico. It cannot be replaced.

I feel as though my privacy was invaded. He came into the house while he knew we were away. I know he only has to give notice to come in, but isn't this excessive? He was in my bedroom!

My property was damaged.
We are stuck here until 6/30 while he shows the house and must be at the beck and call of the realtor now for showings.
This is over the top!

HELP!!!!

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

Have you discussed the damage done to the couch and the broken mask with the landlord?

And no, you do not need to be at the "beck and call" of the realtor for showings. You are entitled to be provided a reasonable amount of notice prior to these showings and they must be done during a reasonable time of the day.

Gail

pennrenter

Left Message with LL about Damage

It is Easter so we were not able to speak with the LL yet. We received a voicemail back stating we should speak with our friend. We recommended our friend to them for the work they needed to have done. We did not contract the work with him-they did. From everything I can see online, they are liable for the damage.

BL

It is Easter so we were not able to speak with the LL yet. We received a voicemail back stating we should speak with our friend. We recommended our friend to them for the work they needed to have done. We did not contract the work with him-they did. From everything I can see online, they are liable for the damage.
Name your State.

Speak to the LL about your damages and follow up in writing ,sent RRR Certified mail - one reg. mail keeping copies.

Keep receipt the LL either picked up the certified mail ,or if it comes back to you undeliverable/un picked up,do not open it ,but keep it for small claims if needed.

First though you should obtain one or two estimates from reputable Companaies that may be able to Clean/restore the Leather couch. A Company that does fire restoration may be able to help also.

If these Co's determine the couch is damaged behond cleaning/restore , you are entitled to the depreciated value , not the original price.

Same thing for the mask.

Why did YOU agree to help the repairs and painting ?

Now you state that your freind contracted w/ the LL to preform the work ?

pennrenter

Correct

We recommended a friend who is a handyman to do the work. After rethinking it we also agreed, why were "WE" having to do the work???? They are selling the house! Hire someone yourself. So, they decided to hire the person we recommended.

BL

We recommended a friend who is a handyman to do the work. After rethinking it we also agreed, why were "WE" having to do the work???? They are selling the house! Hire someone yourself. So, they decided to hire the person we recommended.
That's resonable ,unless the LL tries to come back on the freind saying they damaged the property by shoddy work , or the like .

Same way could have been for you.

Just food for thought...

pennrenter

I Agree Lesson Learned!

Hopefully we can get through the next few weeks and be done with this whole mess!

Thank you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">