• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord / Ex-girlfriend changes locks and dumps my things on to the lawn.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamIamNot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I paid for the month of May. We had a verbal contract agreed upon before I moved in that I would be there for the whole month regardless of relationship status. One week in she changes her mind, and says that she wants me out. For the rest of the week she is verbally hostile towards me. Then she says she is going to "get help" if I don't leave. She comes back and says that she will have to get a notice to quit, which she did not expect.

This Monday, she lets me know that the locks where changed and that she has all my things. I say I will meet her at her place, and I call the police to report my stuff stolen. They not only refuse to help me enter my residency, they also keep me cordoned to the sidewalk while they go in and out of the residence, so that I may not enter. Later, they smirk and say that it's a civil matter and they will not force her to let me get back in, even though they acknowledge my lawful right to be there.

Today I get a phone call from the police saying that I held a knife to her while I was living there, and that she fears for her safety. So she is now lying to the police after the fact, as I never did this.

I am basically homeless at this point. I have things missing, and things damaged.

What is the best course of action at this point? Should I do small claims court or take it to general civil with an attorney?

Also, may I enter through breaking a door or window to get back into the residence when she is not there for the purpose of reclaiming my stuff, as I am still a legal resident there, and the lock change was illegal?

OK-LL

If you have a legal right to enter, you cannot damage the property to do so. You can call a locksmith and have him open the door and make a key for you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I paid for the month of May. We had a verbal contract agreed upon before I moved in that I would be there for the whole month regardless of relationship status. One week in she changes her mind, and says that she wants me out. For the rest of the week she is verbally hostile towards me. Then she says she is going to "get help" if I don't leave. She comes back and says that she will have to get a notice to quit, which she did not expect.

This Monday, she lets me know that the locks where changed and that she has all my things. I say I will meet her at her place, and I call the police to report my stuff stolen. They not only refuse to help me enter my residency, they also keep me cordoned to the sidewalk while they go in and out of the residence, so that I may not enter. Later, they smirk and say that it's a civil matter and they will not force her to let me get back in, even though they acknowledge my lawful right to be there.

Today I get a phone call from the police saying that I held a knife to her while I was living there, and that she fears for her safety. So she is now lying to the police after the fact, as I never did this.

I am basically homeless at this point. I have things missing, and things damaged.

What is the best course of action at this point? Should I do small claims court or take it to general civil with an attorney?

Also, may I enter through breaking a door or window to get back into the residence when she is not there for the purpose of reclaiming my stuff, as I am still a legal resident there, and the lock change was illegal?
Is this an apartment/house that this woman has leased, or is this woman the resident owner of the property?

Your title suggests that your personal belongings were tossed on the yard before the locks were changed. Do you still have personal belongings in the house?

Do you have anything to indicate your agreement to rent from this woman and that you paid to live in the house/apartment for the month of May? You only lived with this woman for one week, correct?

I would NOT enter the premises without a police officer accompanying you - and the police seem reluctant to let you enter, with good reason. The woman has already made a report to the police that you have threatened her. Trying to enter the house now could get you arrested. Do not even THINK about breaking into the house. And, unless you are the owner of the property, you cannot legally have the locks changed.

Consulting with an attorney in your area might be smart. You could potentially take this woman to court and sue for a return of the rent you paid. It would help if you have written evidence that you rented space in the house and were not just a guest of the owner.

And you will WANT an attorney if you find yourself charged with domestic violence or if the woman files for a restraining order against you.

Last edited:

SamIamNot

Is this an apartment/house that this woman has leased, or is this woman the resident owner of the property?

Your title suggests that your personal belongings were tossed on the yard before the locks were changed. Do you still have personal belongings in the house?

Do you have anything to indicate your agreement to rent from this woman and that you paid to live in the house/apartment for the month of May? You only lived with this woman for one week, correct?

I would NOT enter the premises without a police officer accompanying you - and the police seem reluctant to let you enter, with good reason. The woman has already made a report to the police that you have threatened her. Trying to enter the house now could get you arrested. Do not even THINK about breaking into the house. And, unless you are the owner of the property, you cannot legally have the locks changed.

Consulting with an attorney in your area might be smart. You could potentially take this woman to court and sue for a return of the rent you paid. It would help if you have written evidence that you rented space in the house and were not just a guest of the owner.

And you will WANT an attorney if you find yourself charged with domestic violence or if the woman files for a restraining order against you.
She packed everything in her truck, and left the house. I called the cops and had them bring her back by talking to her on the phone. She played the victim and they became hostile towards me, denying me entry with threat of arrest if I approached the house. (Mind you, nothing had happened ever before this besides her trying to get a notice to quit and deciding it would take too long.) My things were then put on to the lawn and then she left. I stayed behind while the cops surrounded me.

It's my understanding that self help evictions are a big no-no in the eyes of the law. Yet, these cops made every effort to deny me my legal right to enter my residence. They seemed smug about it afterwards as well.

So I can no longer get back to retrieve my things because she lied to the cops? Basically, all it takes is her saying "I am fearful of my safety" and my legal rights go out the window?

It is her house. I have proof that I paid rent in the form of text messages, and her admitting as much to the police. I lived with her for about 3 weeks. These last 2 weeks were part of the rental period of May.

Silverplum

She packed everything in her truck, and left the house. I called the cops and had them bring her back by talking to her on the phone. She played the victim and they became hostile towards me, denying me entry with threat of arrest if I approached the house. (Mind you, nothing had happened ever before this besides her trying to get a notice to quit and deciding it would take too long.) My things were then put on to the lawn and then she left. I stayed behind while the cops surrounded me.

It's my understanding that self help evictions are a big no-no in the eyes of the law. Yet, these cops made every effort to deny me my legal right to enter my residence. They seemed smug about it afterwards as well.

So I can no longer get back to retrieve my things because she lied to the cops? Basically, all it takes is her saying "I am fearful of my safety" and my legal rights go out the window?

It is her house. I have proof that I paid rent in the form of text messages, and her admitting as much to the police. I lived with her for about 3 weeks. These last 2 weeks were part of the rental period of May.
"Seeming smug" is not against the law.

If it was, I would be doing LWOP. ;):cool:

Mostly, I'm Q4Ping.

quincy

You can no longer get back into the house to retrieve your items, without risk of being arrested so, yes, all it takes sometimes is for someone to say "I am fearful of my safety" for legal rights to go out the window. At least temporarily. It sometimes takes time to sort out truth from fiction.

Because of what you say now, though, I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area. I have a feeling you will need an attorney's help eventually anyway.

Some advice that I know will do you little good now but might be of help to you in the future: Get ALL agreements in writing and signed by the parties. Oral agreements are often very difficult to prove.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">