• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Filing Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Melanise

What is the name of your state?MD
I entered into a preoccupancy agreement with a person wanting to purchase my home. She put in 2 contracts, the 1st expired, the second was rejected. In the meantime our foreclosure sale date came and in order to stop the foreclosure, I filed bankruptcy. The preoccupancy agreement has expired and the woman has been refusing to pay rent. I've taken legal action to have her evicted. Does my bankruptcy filing have any bearing on this woman, as we have decided not to put the house back on the market and follow through with the bankruptcy. We came to this conclusion because we've been paying the mortgage on the house since the filing (with no rental payment from her), paid for another appraisal so she could put in a more reasonable contract - she wouldn't let the appraiser in the house, and offered to add an addendum to prolong the life of the original contract (better price) at which time we were told (by her) she had a contract on the table for the lesser price and we were to deal with it. We are running out of money and can't afford to continue paying the mortgage while the bankruptcy process is going on as well as rent. Also, are we under any obligation to sale the house to her?

HomeGuru

Melanise said:
What is the name of your state?MD
I entered into a preoccupancy agreement with a person wanting to purchase my home. She put in 2 contracts, the 1st expired, the second was rejected. In the meantime our foreclosure sale date came and in order to stop the foreclosure, I filed bankruptcy. The preoccupancy agreement has expired and the woman has been refusing to pay rent. I've taken legal action to have her evicted. Does my bankruptcy filing have any bearing on this woman, as we have decided not to put the house back on the market and follow through with the bankruptcy. We came to this conclusion because we've been paying the mortgage on the house since the filing (with no rental payment from her), paid for another appraisal so she could put in a more reasonable contract - she wouldn't let the appraiser in the house, and offered to add an addendum to prolong the life of the original contract (better price) at which time we were told (by her) she had a contract on the table for the lesser price and we were to deal with it. We are running out of money and can't afford to continue paying the mortgage while the bankruptcy process is going on as well as rent. Also, are we under any obligation to sale the house to her?

**A: you need to hire an attorney like yesterday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">